Reload this Page >

Extended trip to East coast; need help with site ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:27 AM
Susan

Our family is planning and extended trip this summer to tour the East coast. We are not intirely familular with that area and are interested in Historic sites for our children to experence. We have a 10yr. old and a 16yr old. (Pray for us!) This is probably the last family vacation we will take together, so we want to do it right. THanks, Susan

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Donna F

Living history museums are interesting: Williamsburg VA, Old Sturbridge Village MA, Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH but you should also ask your kids' input on what they would like to see. Before our trip to DC and the Smokey Mtns I had my 9 yo son read some short history books that were in the school library. This gave him an introduction to Mount Vernon, the Cherokees, etc. But on the same trip we also visited Skyline Caverns in Luray and on another trip visited the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green KY. For a young boy into hot cars, this was a great tour. (Mom found it interesting too). I would also recommend a day here and there just goofing off, maybe a big waterpark. In Maine, we have enjoyed narrated cruises to see seals, haul in a lobster trap and to visit lighthouses and understand how they work. (Check out the Maritime Museum in Bath, ME.) You should also make a serious attempt to try local food. We also found that public libraries were a great spot to find small, local events to attend, phone books, etc. In MD one summer we attended a bbq chicken sponsored by the local library with a short play and Indian dance performance. It gave us a chance to talk with people from the area because it was quite noticeable we 'weren't from around there'. You might arrange your trip based on special events...civil war re-enactment for example. And let the kids pick the restaurant once in awhile. Afte touring Plimoth Plantation, we took the kids to a go-cart track. I think they liked that better! Have fun.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Larry

You should certainly see Washington D.C. and the monuments and museums there.Then travel north to Annapolis,Md to see the Naval Acadamy and the quaint town of Annapolis.Then it's on to Baltimore (my home town), to visit the Inner Harbor area with the National Aquarium,Science Center and the Discovery Zone (a hands on museum for young people).Continue up the coast to Philadelphia, where there are a number of fine, historic places to visit. Good luck!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:45 PM
GOL

Hmm. I'd make sure DC, Philly, NYC and Boston are on your itinerary. Plus the Atlantic ocean.

Why history? Do you kids really want to visit the 37 places where "Washington slept here" -

Civil War - Sharpsberg "Blood corn field" / Gettysburg, John Brown's raid and Harpers Ferry is good way to see this era (Harpers Ferry also made arms for Continental Army too in a much earlier time)

DC - nothing like the Smithsonian. Truly a treasure. Plus, the monuments and archives make history real.

Any seaport city - Each of them had their own reasons why they are what they are today. City museums tell their story.

Ellis Island in NYC can make 'real' the immigrant story of the 19th & 20th century era - plus you can see Statue of Liberty from the same ferry ride.

Boston seeps early American history.

Many of the most historic sites are now run by the National Park Service. Any book (that lists all of them) will give you a good idea of this history.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Monique

I would suggest Philadelphia, DC, NYC, and Boston for all the obvious reasons that everyone else mentioned but if you would like to go somewhere a little off the wall try Salem, Massachusettes where they had the witch trials. I went there about 9 years ago and found it pretty interesting and the kids might enjoy it too. Glouster, MASS (not quite sure of the spelling) is also a beautiful little fishing town off the Atlantic ocean. What ever you decide I'm sure you'll have a GREAT TRIP!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:45 PM
betsy

I am broadly defining coast--I have a 13yo & we have seen all the major history stuff on the east coast ..va up (well, not all). Loved it all so here goes ---Monticello, Williamsburg (our favorite) & nearby Jamestown, Mt Vernon (great, underrated), DC memorials --fdr, lincoln, korean war etc, Ephrata Cloister in Penn Dutch, in many dc museums, Liberty & Ellis Islands, the NYC Tenement museum, Mystic Seaport, Newport homes, Salem Mass, strawberry banke, Boston, Lexington, Sturbridge Mass, Shaker Hancock Village & Shaker Mus. in near/Concord NH, & last but far from least, the amazing Plimouth Plantation. Have you ever looked at the Smithsonian travel series that highlights each area of the nation with
emphasis on historical buildings & places? It is great. Of course if you can get the 10yr old to read some historical fiction etc before you go itma help. have fun; we await your trip report.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:03 AM
kelly

Susan,
I don't have kids but I would like to my 2 cents in.

My sister's family (w/2kids)has gone to the Smokey mountains (with her/my Mom too) and they all loved it. They stayed in cabins in a campground. They were near Marysville, TN. The drive through Western Virginia was said to be lovely! I envied them. Some of the pluses were the very frinedly people. Just beware...don't be in a hurry to go anywhere. The people are very laid back.

Oh yes, the first part of the trip was in DC and what could be better...the sites are free and what a selection! The kids enjoyed the Museum of natural history. If you want to see the White House I heard you should try and contact your local Congressmen/senators (a least a few months ahead of time). They receive passses to see the White House (not many) and perhaps you could savy some passes. Otherwise, you probably won't be able to see it.

Lastly, stop in Ocean City, Maryland. I hear it's great. A boardwalk (not seedy)...what could be better for the kids but still good for you and the husband.

Okay...I'll stop while I am too far ahead. There's so much to see.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:45 PM
Beth

Hi! If you go to Boston, I recommend the 'Duck Tour' which you must reserve a day or two in advance, Aquarium, Science Museum, Freedom Trail, and North End Culinary Tour (by reservation also). If in that area, do venture south to Plymouth Plantation, and north to Salem and Gloucester. At Salem, the Witch Museum (NOT the Witch House), the House of the Seven Gables (Nathanial Hawthorne's), and the Peabody Essex Museum are definitely worth exploring. If you go that far, be sure to take in the Hammond Castle Museum in Gloucester. Your kids will love it!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:49 PM
Beth

PS! Just saw someone else's post that mentioned Newport. If you go there, your kids will LOVE the murder mystery show that is played out at one of the historic mansions every Saturday night!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:58 AM
xxx

Boston is my home. And most of my travel has been on the East Coast. My picks for places to see would be:
1.Williamsburg for the history and Busch Gardens.(Kids need fun as well as history). Its my favorite amusement park outside of Orlando Don't miss the Jamestown Settlement - we actually enjoyed that most of all. I thought it was a very well done museum.
2. Washington DC - the Smithsonian, the monuments, the White House - its all beautiful - makes you proud of America
3. Newport RI - the mansions, the ocean, beaches in RI are underrated
4. Boston - of course - history, art, culture, great food
5. Coast of Maine - beautiful scenery

Can't comment on the Maryland, Delaware or Pennsylvania area - all my trips there have been passing through or for business. But we do someday plan a trip to this area to see Pennslyvania Dutch country, Gettysburg, Hershey, Brandywine, Annapolis, baseball game at Camden Yards

I hope you enjoy the trip - there is a lot to see and do.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 08:52 AM
dougd

Most of the major attractions were mentioned above. A few things the kids might enjoy - a whale watch off the New England coast, a stay at a b&b farm in Vermont or New hampshire, and some hiking in the White Mountains of NH or the Green Mountains of Vermont.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:53 PM
Beth

Hi again!
Just found this website and thought of your post. Check out: gonewengland.about.com

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:35 AM
chuck

Most of the replies above are focused on the Northern half of the east coast. DC would probably be my top choice, North or South--I keep expecting the Mall and the museums to lose their lustre, but they never do. Don't know if you intend to venture south, but if so here are a few thoughts.

Charleston SC--there's a lot of history packed into this relatively small city (the Battery, Fort Sumter, USS Yorktown); the historic section is beautiful; it is notoriously hot and humid in the summer though.

Outer Banks of NC--Manteo is the site of the "lost colony", lots of lighthouses, Wright Brothers museum (first flight), Okcacoke--tiny fishing village with descendants from England whose accents are a curious blend of southern and British.

St. Augustine FL is a relatively small city that I believe has been claimed by 7 different nations, very nice walking town.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Paul

A great place to start would be Boston, full of history and a great city, full of interest and things to do. Going south, the list could get very long depending on how much time you have and how often you want to stop. Philadelphia and Gettysburg, PA should be considered, and of course Washington DC. Virginia has so many historic points of interest its hard to say where to begin. If I could pick only one, though,it would surely be Williamsburg. Continuing south, add Charleston SC - a great vacation stop and full of Civil War history.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 11:02 AM
joy in virginia

I also recommend Williamsburg - since I live near there - and busch Gardens & Water Country are the 2 theme parks. You could do colonial Wmsbg & Jamestown in two days, and spend one or two days at BG. Anheuser Busch owns both so there is a combo ticket. It has been voted for several years now one of the most beautiful theme parks in America! Go on a weekday, on weekends locals like my family who have season passes crowd things. north of richmond is Paramount's King's Dominion, another park with TERRIFIC coasters & a water park right inside! AND it is only a short drive from where Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried! (Yes, his ARM - it was amputated in the field before he died, the rest of him is buried in Hollywood Cemetary in Richmond.) Virginia has lots of history and fun too, and most places you can find really good deals or discounts. Check out this website: http://www.virginia.org/

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:14 PM
Anne

I grew up in SC, and I can promise you that if you visit Charleston, you'll be up to your ears in history and in the lovliest city I've ever seen. Your kids would have the wonderful beaches to visit, also. Can you tell I'm homesick?

Old May 11th, 2001, 04:33 PM
koli

I cannot comment on Anne's suggestion (to do the south), since I am a northerner and have minimal exposure to coastal south (I don't think Myrtle Beach and "South of the Border" qualify, although Charleston is on my list of "to sees"). However, despite my partiality to my home city (Boston), which has several historic gems, I would probably agree with an earlier posting that suggested Colonial Williamsburg. I was at a long weekend wedding in Norfolk VA many years ago, so we spent a day at Williamsburg and vowed to return. Plus your kids will enjoy a break from the history with a trip to Busch Gardens (really just an amusement park, but what kid doesn't like a break?). Plus the VA and Maryland beaches are nice. About 3-4 hours north is DC, which is worthy of a trip on its own. Plus, within striking distance of DC is Gettysburg and several Civil War sites. The VA/MD/PA area is full of 1700-1800 history.

Like I said, I am from Boston (more 1600-1800 history), so if your interest is more colonial/revolutionary period, you should come up here (Boston, Lexington and Concord, Plymouth, Old North Church, Salem witch trials, Mayflower, etc.). Fun diversions are Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket, the mountains in Vermont or NH, plus coastal Maine. It's cooler than the DC/VA/MD area too.

Either one would be a good choice (plus Charleston and Savannah have great reputations, but expect serious heat - like Africa heat - and humidity in summer).

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:58 PM
M.Baker

Our family vacation several years ago included a visit to an active U.S.Navy ship at the main base at Norfolk,VA.I believe that Sundays are the day designated for these open houses.Because of security concerns,make sure to have proper ID and vehicle insurance papers available.My children were in the8,10,and 13 age levels and all enjoyed it very much.We were doing the East coast thing including Wash.D.C.,Jamestown,Yorktown,Norfolk,
Kitty Hawk,Cape Hatteras,and a real cool ferry ride along the Outer banks of N.Carolina.

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Penny

Susan,

Everyone's suggestions have been great; I just want to suggest that you try to split up on occasion--two of you go somewhere and two of you go somewhere else. You've probably already considered this. Our kids aren't as far apart in age as yours, but we find this is one thing that really helps when we vacation all together--just a day spent doing different things helps keep things interesting.

I hope your trip is great! You'll have to post a trip report when you return.

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:18 AM
ANJA

Try to stay in Newport, or a surrounding town. If you stay in town, you can walk anywhere, or you can rent bikes. It's great for all ages - loaded with history, and has many natural attractions as well. Drawback is it's pricey, but I recommend calling a reservation service (Newport Reservations or Taylor Made Reservations) to get a small apartment or homestay. They tend to be cheaper, and landlords love families. Plus you get to be a part of the town, rather than just a tourist. I grew up here, and though I now live on the mainland, I enjoy coming into town every so often for dinner or theatre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -