Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Exploring beaches on Maui and Oahu, are waterproof shoes needed ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Lois

Our trip is coming up in June. I have previously received helpful information regarding restaurants, transportation, books to read up on, etc. which has been very helpful. My question may sound strange, but in a few books I've read that it is suggested to wear something on our feet if exploring certain areas. I'm assuming this would be rocky or lava covered areas. Is this something I should be purchasing before I go, and if so, what kind of shoe [something from Speedo or a Tiva shoe or something else]? Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:48 PM
bettyk

Yes, it is best to have some type of water shoe or boot because of the reasons you mentioned. Also, if you plan to snorkel, it is sometimes more comfortable have a bootie on with fins so it doesn't rub your heel. I bought mine at a scuba shop for around $30 but you can find them just about everywhere now in all price ranges.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:14 PM
lcuy

You would provbably be happy with rubber-soled sandals or those bright fabric reef walkers with the rubber bottoms. I've seen them on the mainland as well as in K-mart or similar here in Honolulu. Bought some a while back for $7.99 I think.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:10 PM
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

We went to Maui and I never needed water shoes. The sand it soft, and when swimming the ocean floor is sandy.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Blalah

A pair of lightweight Teva's would fit the bill perfectly. Last post is correct in stating that the sand is nice and soft, but, away from the water line, the June sun'll really bake the sand scorching hot! Your feet will probably be too tender to take the temp! Also, when walking the reef, it's advisable 'cause of either the sharp coral or lava or sea urchin. Most locals either go barefoot or wear rubber slippers. These slippers are ubiquitous and found in almost every market and/or drugstore.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Lois

Thanks for the input. I'll wait till I get down there and if I feel we need the reef walkers, we can buy them down there. Good point about the sand being too hot to walk on. I burned my feet one time walking on a long beach at Jones Beach. By the time I got to the car, my feet were blistered! I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of that till after the fact! Thanks again.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:11 PM
michelle

There have been the occasions when I wished I'd had a cheap pair of reef shoes.....if your the least bit of an explorer, keep them and a backpack with water and a towel....if you're just walking the beach, mostly you'll be fine without

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:34 AM
jpm

Yes.Yes.Yes.

You will need them. Bought ours at Walmart for $6.00. Not sure what the cost in Hawaii will be but can't imagine them to be much more (or less).

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:42 AM
sss

I like to go with a pair of reef walkers/tivas and light hiking boots. The light hiking boots is what I see people missing too bad there are so many great trails people only learn about once they are there and then they find themselves on uneven ground with tennis shoes....Too bad they did not read more before the trip.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:43 PM
jam

Would a pair of aqua socks be good enough?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Lois

Thanks again for the input. I was afraid that it was a stupid question, but considering the feedback, I'm glad I asked. I'm still not sure what 'reef walkers' are, but I'm going to look around before I go, so that I don't waste any precious time once there.
I also was glad to hear about the suggestion of hiking shoes. My husband was sure that was what the books were referring to, and I thought it was something to wear actually in and around the water. It seems we were both right. We will have a decent amt. of time to explore Oahu, since we'll be there for a week. We love taking walks in beautiful places, and I can't imagine a better location for that. Unfortunately, our stay on Maui is way to short, only 4 days, so I don't know how much exploring we'll manage to do there. I'm so glad I was able to read up on the area because I never would have thought of this.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:56 AM
sss

Lois I did not mean to imply you weren't reading just people on my trip. Never ceases to amaize me how many people go to Hawaii driving and spend the whole time driving or sitting on a beach. Miss alot this way. I like light hiking boots something that breathes. Even though you only have four days on Maui you still might find yourself doing an hour long hike, if only on short treks on the road to hana. Don't forget to rent the car tape so you know where to stop along the way. Just can be so beautiful to do this. I know hiking through out any trip sounds like work but you would be amaized at some of the views and experiences you would have. Do a heading on hiking on each island. I can tell you about Kauai which you don't need. Oahu my info is dated. Off the top of my head Makapu lighthouse, paved. Early morning or overcast and breezy afternoon.

Do they let you hike Kole Kole pass with a permit? INCREDIBLE VIEW but it is a very restricted area. Japanese planes flew over this area just before bombing Pearl Harbor. They open this up for a run once a year. I thought you could get a permit a head of time if you wanted to drive over. You really don't know you are on Oahu here. This pass is incredible.

I like finding trails in the woods also. Not so impressed with diamond head too many tourists. You find trails for Oahu if you search online.

About the reef walkers I found myself wanting an open sandle not swimming shoe. If you snorkle will have fins on in the water so you don't need the swiming shoes. My days in Hawaii are hike a little, swim a little, hike a little, swim a littel. So I like to switch on/off with sandles light hiking boots.