Expedia = No upgrade potential?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are having a little dispute I am sure you fodorites can help us resolve.

We are going to LV in August for our anniversary. I booked a room at Bally's on Expedia.com because the prices were cheaper than what we were quoted on the phone with Bally's directly.

Now my husband wants to upgrade our room when we get there (an idea I like as well!) but thinks we won't be able to because we booked on Expedia.com. I think we will still be able to upgrade.

Anyone have any idea which one of us is right? (I am hoping it is me, of course)

Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I haven't done that myself, but somebody on this forum reported of being offerd an upgrade for a fee. It probably depends on the availability.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Although not in Vegas, I was offered an upgrade (that I would have had to pay for) on a room I got through priceline.

As Faina said - it will depend on availability, but why not ask? The room is already booked (and possibly non-refundable, since it was booked through expedia), so why not just wait and see what happens? The worst that happens is they say no, and you get the room you originally paid for.

On another note, if the reservation is cancellable, keep an eye on the prices through the hotel website. It's pretty early for them to be listing their special rates for August, but prices may come down for your dates as they get closer.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM

We got an upgrade at Mirage - just by asking and no extra charge. It never hurts to ask.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Chinese man "NO Refund-ALL sale final"
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I work p/t at a hotel, and we'll do upgrades when we can.

It really is a case of availability. Some upgrades are done for free, especially if the stay is only 1 day. Less likely to get free upgrades if we're well booked, or your reservation is for a longer period .. we'd probably have to charge, or it might not even be possible.

We do not promise any upgrades, even a paid one, on the phone. We must treat your reservation exactly as it came thru until you get here. Easiest thing to do is cheerfully ask, "What kind of upgrade is possible, even if there's an extra charge?" ... so you don't appear to have some sense of entitlement to free upgrades ... the clerk will do what s/he can. Just don't (even in LV) try flashing a bribe. Yes, some will accept, but most of us will be offended that you think you can buy our integrity.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:14 AM

As noted above...fully based on availability. If they have rooms, they'll normally ask if you'd like to "Upgrade" or get "Strip view." Most times this costs a modest charge $15-$35 day depending on hotel. Enjoy!