excellent bodysurfing in hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend has asked for help planning a trip to hawaii. he is fairly specific.
this will be an anniversary trip. they would like a large resort (might like all inclusive) with spa and more than one pool, several restaurants, bars and most importantly it must be on an excellent bodysurfing beach. they will travel the 3rd week in may. would prefer not oahu. any info will help. thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM

Maui bodysurfing was a recent topic on this board. A couple of people recommended Hamoa Beach in Hana. It's right next to the Hotel Hana-Maui. It would be a wonderful place for an anniversary but it is not a large resort.

http://www.hotelhanamaui.com/
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM

In Kaui, the Marriott on Kalipaki Bay is a great resort and it fronts a beach that has good boogie boarding and body surfing however as at all beaches it depends on the conditions that particular week which could range from terrible to excellent. So there are never any guarantees on surf conditions anywhere in Hawaii. But I've had good days at Kalapaki Bay. Hamoa beach is far, far, far away from anything else on Maui. Check it out on a map.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM

Bodysurfing spots require a certain kind of beach that resorts don't usually look for, so being so stringent about a resort with a bodysurfing beach may be a bit difficult. Most of these big resorts look to be on soft flat beaches good for families and little kids.

I'm not sure what the Hyatt Kauai is like in May. Their beach is rough, and might be a rough bodysurfing beach in May. If your friend is such a demanding bodysurfer, perhaps he can do some research in the bodysurfing community.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for your thoughts. i'll pass them along. placename - you make a good point about bodysurf vs resort beach. perhaps they can find a big resort close to a bodysurfing beach.
agree hana is away from it all, however they've been to the islands several times so perhaps they would not mind the remoteness. hana maui does have a romantic look.
love the pool at the kauai marriott.
kauai hyatt looks like it might be a good match.

anyone with any other ideas?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM

Hapuna Beach on the Big Island. The resorts on the beach are Hapuna Prince & Mauna Kea
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM

The beach at the Hyatt in Kauai is definitely not good for body surfing because it has too many rocks. The beach at the Marriott in Kauai at Kalapaki Bay has no rocks---only nice soft sand.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
koa

The beach fronting the Kauai Hyatt is commonly known as shipwrecks beach. It is known as a good bodyboard and EXPERT bodysurfing beach. Less than a mile away is brennekes beach which is a good bodysurfing beach for all abilities.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Oahu- Pounders
Maui- Just below the Ritz Carlton. Fleming is a sandy bottom beach that catches North Swells and has been "Going OFF" lately. I was droppin in on 25 ft faces- Yes I did and Im still alive. Caveat- Ive seen some serious neck injuries happen there
Big island- Right below the Prince Resort, but the break attracts lots of locals
Kauai- I found a place between Kappa and Princeville kust past Anahola Bay that was nice. It was a sandbar beach vreak, but it was a bit sketchy being the only one out.
If he wants to be alone, Kauai is the place
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

more thanks for all the advice. i've let him know what you've all had to say and hopefully he take a look at all tonight.
frank, i'll cut and paste your specifics to pass along. thanks.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Jorge, you need to contact your therapist.

When we stayed at the Hyatt on Kaua'i there were quite a few local folks body surfing the break at the beach in front of the hotel. It is called Shipwreck Beach. The Hyatt would certainly satisfy your friend's need to be at a large full service resort. I've bodysurfed at Hamoa Beach when I was a teenager and nearly had my neck broken. It is not for the faint of heart, however we were there last week and no one was bodysurfing and the waves were small.