Everglades - worth a visit?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 09:24 AM
greg

Everglades - worth a visit?

Hi - We're going to be spending a week in Southern Florida in early December. Anticipating spending most of the time in the Keys, but wondering if the Everglades is worth a visit at that time of year. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Jen

The Everglades is one of the wonders of the natural world, as imprsesive in its own (flat) way as the Grand Canyon, IMHO. This is a great time of year to see it because there are fewer bugs and more migrant birds.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:27 AM
x

Better see the Everglades now. The way Florida is letting developers pave everything over, more and more of the Everglades and wildlife are disappearing.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Melissa

I toured the everglades a year and a half ago from the Gulf side (Ten Thousand Island Regions) and it was absolutely beautiful, but not the everglades I had pictured in my mind (alligators, swampy areas, low hanging mangroves). I was telling someone this, and they told me that it is better to see the Everglades from the Miami area, which you probably would coming from the Keys anyways (just to let you know though!)
Enjoy!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Been There

I went there and thought it was miles of boredom from the Miami side. Liked the Western side better but thought the experience on the whole was anticlimactic Recommend the Everglades Alligator Farm instead (near the Miami entrance)

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:16 PM
greg

Thanks -- we'll check it out. Thinking of driving from Fort Lauderdale early in the morning to spend the bulk of the day in the Everglades (from the Miami side), and then leave early to mid-afternoon to go towards Key Largo. Is this enough time to do a good hike and perhaps take a boat ride? Appreciate any comments.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:23 PM
David

I took an airboat tour of the Everglades at Everglades Holiday Park in Fort Lauderdale last April and I thought it was well worth it.

http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Jen

We enjoyed the Everglades. On the way back to Fort Lauderdale, we were going just a tad too fast and got a speeding ticket inside the national park. Watch the speed limit.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Charlie

If you're heading for Key Largo the perfect tour of the Everglades is on the way........stop and enter the park in Florida City just off Rt.1.The Park visitor center is hear for you to see a short film and pick up maps for a round trip drive through the glades to the small town of Flamingo on the bay of Florida side of the Everglades.The drive is about 50 miles round trip and is a dead end(just turn around and head back).On the detailed maps that you will get at the visitor center you will find a number of hiking trails at mile markers along your drive to stop and view the wildlife.The trails are safe,easy walks(some on wooden boardwalks)and IMHO enjoyable.As someone else mentioned December is a great time to tour the glades(NO BUGS)and this drive will reveal the real everglades, its fauna and wildlife.Greg if you get an early start (7AM)you will be able to drive to the park at Florida City, make the drive I described,hike, take a tour boat ride in Flamingo and still get to Key Largo by late afternoon. Enjoy !!!!!

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Al

Everglades definately worth a visit. See more about it at www.nps.gov.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 04:25 AM
greg

Thanks for the replies. We are planning on leaving Fort Lauderdale early in the morning (around 7 or 7:30) on a Monday. How long will it take us to reach Florida City at that time of day? (Have no idea about traffic, etc. that we may encounter). The route looks pretty straightforward, but any suggestions?

Thanks