Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ever have anything stolen from your car while using valet?-I did!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a great trip to NYC. We had one bright sunny day and one rainy day, but we made the best of it.

Anyway, we had tons of luggage to unload so I didn't even think about taking out my quarters before valet drove our jeep away. I had a $10 roll of quarters (for tolls) in the console between the seats and it was gone when valet brought our car back the next day! I was so mad about it but my husband kept saying why didn't I get them out when we went to the room? Thank goodness all of our CD's were still there, because we had a lot. For goodness sake, you can't carry EVERYTHING with you to the room.

My husband didn't even say anything about the missing money. The valet card they give you says right on it the hotel isn't liable for anything stolen from the vehicle. Oh well.

Just wondered if anyone here has ever had a similar experience? Oh, and BTW, we had to pay $31 a day for them to park it!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM
GoTravel

No. I never ever leave anything I care about in overnight/garage/valet parking.

Clutter in a car makes me crazy anyway.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I always have change in my car for parking meters and an emergency $20 bill. But I always remove it when I leave car with anyone - even auto mechanic. It's not right that it was stolen, but there would have likely been no point in complaining - your word against theirs.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:41 AM

We had the whole car stolen while using valet at an Atlanta restaurant about 7 or 8 years ago!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Yes. It is just not practical to carry everything with you everytime you use a valet, esp.., in places like San Francisco and NYC where most of the nicer restaurants use valet service and even many of the smaller in-town garages.

1) really expensive jumper cables, which were "buried" in the back under a blanket
2) $140 Vuarnet sunglasses
3) toll money - around $1 in quarters, at least 2 or 3 times
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:45 AM

This may not work with rental cars, as they only give you the master key; but if it's your own vehicle, you can lock stuff in the glove box and the trunk (assuming it's a regular sedan) with the master key, and then give the valet only the valet key.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM

A suggestion, if you are using valet parking for the car you own only give the car key to the valet person. Do NOT give them your entire set of keys. I have seen so many people do this. Your address is on your registration in your glove compartment and in giving your entire set of keys to the valet person they can then make a copy of your house key..not something you want to happen. Same advise when you take your car in for mechanical work etc.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

padams421, they stole the car? Oh my, was it your own or a rental? I guess I can't complain then about $10.

The idea of locking up the glove compartment or trunk is a good one. But we have a jeep liberty, so there is no trunk. I'll have to check the glove compartment and see if it locks.

We live in a small town so the only time we use valet is while traveling. So I just haven't gotten use to completely cleaning out the car before leaving it. I know better next time.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Leaving anything in your car - valet or self park - is at your own risk. If you read the tiny print, this is spelled out. That's why they make valet keys.
I have had a handicap parking hang tag stolen. Even worse was when a hotel valet parker did some under the car damage (suspect they drove over a parking barrier) that wound of costing almost $10K to repair. Of course they denied responsibility.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
GoTravel

LOL! The whole car?!? That is too funny!

I don't leave anything in my car. Ever. My sunglasses stay in my handbag. My umbrella only goes in the car when it rains.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM

The hotel or garage can post all the "We are not responsible for ..." signs they want; it does not relieve them of responsibility. That's no help for a $10 loss because it's not worth the fight, but larger losses are worth seeing a lawyer about. Companies suddenly find a way to settle claims when they get a lawyer's letter.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Neopolitan

And while we're on the subject, never ever leave your house keys on your key chain with the car in valet -- especially if you're close to home. A whole ring was developed here where restaurant valets would remove the house key while the patrons dined and send it off with accomplices along with the address taken from the registration in the glove box. After all, they knew the people weren't going to be home for hours. They only got caught when someone fell ill a few moments after entering the restaurant and returned to their car to leave and found their house key missing from the key chain. Ooops.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Yes, they stole the whole car, and we owned it. We went to a restaurant in Buckhead (Atlanta) with valet parking. When we were ready to leave, hubby gives the valet claim check to the attendant. It seems to take forever for our car to be brought around to the entrance/exit. Other people come out after us, get their cars, and leave, and we're still standing there. I begin to think the valet guys have had some sort of fender/bender accident with our car, and that's why it's taking so long. Eventually, the owner of the restaurant comes up to us along with the head valet, and tells us that our car was stolen. I was expecting an apology for a small dent; I was totally shocked to hear the car was gone!

This restaurant is on a major 4 lane street in Buckhead, which is usally congested with a lot of traffic. The entrance/exit to the restaurant is on the side of the building near the front. The parking is behind the building along with the key stand where they kept the keys for the cars (not a smart location). While all of the valets were busy parking cars, several guys ran over from an adjacent office building parking lot and grabbed a bunch of keys off of the key stand. They each took a remote control door lock, pressed open, and looked for the car belonging to that key. They each drove off with a car. By the time, the restaurant called the police, the car theives were long gone in Buckhead traffic.

We filed a claim with our insurance company, and it paid the claim. Our insurance company fought it out with the restaurant and the valet to determine who should pay for the theft.

About a year and a half later, we received a call that our car had turned up in Alabama. A young military enlistee had tried to register the car he had bought from someone selling used cars at unbelievable prices, and it showed that the car had been stolen. We felt bad for the kid, who didn't realize that paying $5,000 for a $30,000+ car was too good of a deal to be true. My husband had to go to Alabama to testify at his trial. The insurance company got possesion of the car since we had been reimbursed already, and the time period for recovery had passed.

I always look now at where valets keep the keys. Is it locked? Is someone present at the key stand?

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM

I have to admit, both my husband and I don't bother to remove valuables when leaving our cars with valets and we've been lucky so far.

My girlfriend had her truck at the repair shop for a few days. After she got her truck back, one or two days later it was stolen. The ignition was in tact and not hot wired, so she figured one of the kids at the repair shop copied her key and used it to steal her truck. However, there was no proof, and no one was prosecuted for it.

I'm taking my house key off my ring today!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Hi Neopolitan, the same thing happened in SF several years ago. Several insurance companies that we represented through our insurance agency told us about this, customers handing over all their keys to valet people and consequently having burlgaries in their homes. But the burlgaries were always a week or two after the valet service. But insurance investigators finally put the dots together as all victims had been to the same restaurant and consequently used the same valet service. We always only gave them the car keys, the extra set we had, versus the keys with all keys attached. But guess if criminals want to do their "thing" they could make a copy of your car key and steal your car later.

BTW, our local VV PD has advised NOT to leave your car registration in your car. Carry it on your person, but our CA registration is a bit to large to fit into my wallet. But think, thanks to this thread, I will go to Kinko's and have it copied to a smaller size and have it laminated and put it in my wallet. Gads, so many things to think about to keep ahead of the crooks.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM

We have never had anything stolen, but I am sort of fanatical about not leaving anything in the car. Like LoveItaly, our local news has mentioned car registrations being stolen out of cars lately. I always take that when we go backpacking, but have to remember to take it out of our packs afterward.

We had our suv parked by a valet last weekend and did not even think about where they put the keys.

I just hate that we have to look over our shoulder time and time again.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Pianogirl- I would call the manager of the hotel and let him or her know what happened. Tell him you understand that they are not responsible, but you wanted them to know anyway. It is possible that they've had other complaints and yours may pinpoint the thief.

Just like the TSA thefts recently in Honolulu...turned out many Japanese tourists were having cash stolen out of their suitcases. The culprits were counting on the language barrier and the fact that the victims would be far away once the thefts were discovered. (and probably figuring most people were like me.."did I put the money in the suitcase, or did I leave it on the hotel bed?")

Eventually enough people complained that they set up a sting and caught them.