European needs advice for San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to my stay in SF from 9/17 to 10/17. I wont have a rental car.

As a European I have never visit some typical american things. So let me know if you have advices to

1)live Baseball or Football game (not expensive)
2) Rodeo or whatching people making linedance
3) Pumpkin-festival
4) Christmas-store open year round
5) I guess Disneyland is too far, how is the Great America Park?
6) a western city. How is the public transportation to Sacramento?
7) I would like to make guides tours to Yosemite, Monterey, Carmel, Muir woods. Which is the best tour company?
8) What to buy in Chinatown and bring home. Maybe kind of herbs?
9) Never eated Dim-Sum. Is this possible without Seafood?
10) How are the guided walking tours in Haight Ashbury (I read that Alamo Square is dangerous for tourists)or Chinatown.

Thanks for answers
Gabi

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM

With any luck, Gabi, you will have great weather during your stay. September is one of the very best times here in the SF area.

I'll take a shot at some of your questions:
1) Baseball game is fun and stadium has great views.
2) No rodeos that I am aware of.
3) Pumpkin festival is in Half Moon Bay, a small town south of SF. The dates for 2005 are Oct 15-16, so you'll be here. Not sure how you get there without a car, but it's VERY crowded and traffic and parking are a nightmare.
5) It's not Disneyland, that's for sure. Mostly rides.
6) You can take a bus to Sacramento, but I'm not sure what you mean by "a western city." If you are thinking of cowboys and saloons, then a smaller town in the Gold Rush country is what you want.
8) Just wander around Chinatown and see what you discover. Really no need to decide in advance.
9) Yes, there is dim sum that doesn't have seafood.

Hope you have a great time!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Hi Gabi, for Sacramento which is not a western town, you may be thinking of "Old Sacramento" which has a western theme and is along the Sacramento River. You can catch the Capitol Corrider Train. It is part of AMTRAK. Believe you take the bus to Oakland and then the train takes you up to Sacramento. When you get off you are just a few blocks from Old Sacramento.

There was a year round Christmas store at Pier 39, but not sure if it is still there. Hopefully some other Fodorite will know.

Great American Park is not at all like Disneyland. But if you want something "all American" you can take the Vallejo-SF ferry to Vallejo and go to Six Flags Marine World. It is not like Disneyland however. Am personally not sure you would enjoy it but just a thought. Rollercoaster rides, animals etc. The ride on the ferry across SF Bay is lovely.

Have you thought about taking the tour to Alcatraz Island? It was once a federal prison. An Island out in the middle of SF Bay. Again, you go over by ferry.

Baseball or football game not expensive. Hmmm, I believe that most tickets are expensive but hopefully some sportfan here on Fodors can help you with that.

Chinatown, don't just walk up Grant, turn off on the side streets, walk up Stockton etc. Get off of the touristy Grant to see more of the residential/non touristy area of Chinatown.

Guided Walking Tours. We need Stu Dudley to give you the exact name of these tours as his wife volunteers with them. I can never remember the name but I know they are free (although a donation I am sure should be given) through the SF Library. Something I believe you would really enjoy.

Salinas has Rodeo's but not sure of the exact dates. And without a car I personally am not sure how you would get there.

I sure wish you a wonderful visit in SF. SF is a great city to walk in which I am sure you will discover with a whole month to explore.

Perhaps take the ferry to Sausilito and Tiburon. You can also catch a ferry where you can spend a few hours on Angel Island. Beautiful views of the SF Bay and Golden Gate Bridge.

Regarding "safe neighborhoods". While walking you will notice (like west of Union Square) neighborhoods will change suddenly. Just pay attention to your surrondings and turn around and leave anytime you are not comfortable. Check out neighborhoods during daylight hours so you will know where you want to be at night.

Perhaps once in SF you could contact a Travel Agency regarding Yosemite etc. Just a thought.

And welcome to our corner of the world!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a map that shows you the BART public transportation system. Any place you can reach using that will be easy (it is lightrail that runs in several straight lines outward from the city center).

Much of dim sum is meat not seafood (BBQ pork hum bows, little wrapped meatballs, tiny ribs in sauce, etc.)

I am living in Seattle but have friends down that way, I'll check on some of your specific questions and see if I can find more answers.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:10 PM

If you don’t mind me asking where are you from?
I commented on your ideas. If you give me some information and answer my questions I may be able to help you more.

1) Live Baseball or Football game (not expensive)
I am a big baseball fan. I love the new stadium in San Fran. I hope you will enjoy baseball, most likely you won’t be into the game right off. It will be more of an experience of people watching.
2) Rodeo or watching people making line dance
I love Rodeos too. I have only been a couple of times. I went in Sun Valley Idaho. I don’t know if you will find one in the SF area. Look online. Again, it will be an experience of people watching. Viewing a cross section of America. Line dancing is fun – I know places in Los Angeles but not SF
3) Pumpkin-festival-
I have no info
4) Christmas-store open year round-
What do you want to find exactly?
5) I guess Disneyland is too far, how is the Great America Park?
Disneyland is way too far. 1 hour by plane and a 1.5 hour drive from Los Angeles airport. Great America will be just a thrill- roller coaster park.
6) A western city. How is the public transportation to Sacramento?
What western city is in Sacramento? If you want the real experience go to Idaho. The Rodeo and cowboys are still there. You can go on cattle drives and have a cook out.
7) I would like to make guides tours to Yosemite, Monterey, Carmel, and Muir woods. Which is the best tour company? You are far from all mentioned except for Muir Woods. I think it is about an hour outside of SF.
Going towards Napa. Commonly people drive from Los Angeles on the coast route up north and stop in Carmel and Monterey. Yosemite is wonderful but that is a whole different direction. How much time do you have? Do you not want to get a car?

8) What to buy in Chinatown and bring home.
I love China town for shopping. I don’t buy herbs but I do buy linen items like placemats, napkins, and cocktail napkins. Velvet slippers, rice paper painted umbrellas, toys, and many fun things very very inexpensive. I like Chinatown a lot I have expensive taste and I am quite the shopper. Chinatown is a must for me every trip to SF. I buy a lot of stock for future gift giving. If you are a shopper there are many wonderful shops in SF.
What do you like? I can direct you. I have book with specialty shops listed.
9) Never eated Dim-Sum. Is this possible without Seafood? I have not really liked dim sum that much but that is just me. There are many restaurants to choose from.
10) How are the guided walking tours in Haight Ashbury. Ask your hotel to help you. I am not sure about this. You can fax the concierge ahead of time to help you with all your tours including Muir woods. My favorite Place in Muir Woods is The Pelican Inn. They have rooms there but it is more of a tavern restaurant.

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Baseball in San Francisco in September :
Sept 17 vs LA dodgers
Sept 18 vs LA Dodgers
both 1:05 starts and dodgers games are always sold out.
Sept 30 Oct 1 and 2 vs Arizona. Last three regular season games.
Playoffs would start in early Oct and I am counting on the Giants to be participating.
Even though games are sold out, the giants sell about 500 tickets about three hours before game time to sit in a centerfield section( I think). Either that or SRO.