Estes Park?

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Estes Park?

We've been to Estes Park several times, but usually just poke around downtown for an hour or so on the way back from RMNP. What else is there to do in Estes Park? I've heard the hotel from The Shining is there somewhere; does anyone know anything about it? Thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM

That is about it. I think it was the Hotel Standley that was used and is worth a look. Great porch.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Oh God!! The Stanley - what a nightmare experience it was for us! Granted this happened in 1987, so hopefully things have improved. My husband wanted to stay there because of The Shining association. At that time there was no Trip Advisor or easy way to get a lot of travel info. Long story short, I was 7 1/2 months pregnant and they put us in a room on the 3rd or 4th floor. The elevator didn't work the entire 3 days we stayed there. The room seemed more like a prison cell, very poorly decorated, little water pressure. Husband is 6'2" and he had to double over to take shower. They had promised us a king size bed, which turned out to be a queen. The grounds were not really well maintained. You ask why we stayed? Well, it was the height of tourist season on a Labor Day weekend and we didn't have the luck to find another decent hotel, plus we had prepaid and they wouldn't refund our money. Amazing how naive we were. Curious to know if it has improved?
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Out of curiosity I just looked The Stanley up on TripAdvisor. I strongly advise you to read the reviews before you go there - doesn't sound like it has improved at all. I was reminded of the lack of A/C, and it was hot when we went there too. Find another place!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I also wonder if service has improved. Our pre-paid stay was in 1990 and the cleaning staff was banging on the door at 7 AM. After we sent them away they vacuumed the halls outside our room. So much for a relaxing, restful weekend. Since one was not provided in the room, we had to make our own "Do Not Disturb" sign for the following morning. It was a very strange experience.

I don't think fmpden was recommending the place for the stay, but maybe just for a drink and a look around.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM

The Stanley is worth a look. I think they have a Shining Ball coming up in October...
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Sometimes I don't think people don't read or more likely don't understand prior postings. Tally is not asking about the Stanley as lodging -- just as the location for the Shining. And then we get rants that are 20 years old -- something has to have changed in 20 years or it would not remain open. Tally main question was what to do in Estes once you have walked pass all the touristy t-shirt shops. I say nothing.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Hey fmpden, why don't you check out the Stanley for a weekend and let us know if anything has changed over the past 20 years? If you look at the trip advisor reviews service problems still seem to be big issues. Why is it still open? My guess it that it is an interesting building in a fabulous location.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

It's good to know that we haven't been missing lots of cool stuff in Estes Park. We only live an hour away, so no need to stay in a hotel there, but next time maybe we'll check out the Stanley just for something to do.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM

crazy story re: the stanley. my whole family stayed there in 1989. my brother fell deathly ill with altitude sickness, and spent the 3 days in the hotel room. of course, we were all enchanted that it was the inspiration for stephen kings "the shining". and of course, alot of the rooms were scary in an old kind of way. if you've seen "dumb and dumber", it's actually filmed there too.
but! as we were leaving we saw an old chrysler or ford or something, red. and the license plate said "evil 2". we were so spooked because it was just like stephen kings "christine"!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM

You think it might have been a (the) "Stanley Steamer!?" (Yes.) The lobby is beautiful, the restaurant (Dunraven Grill) is very good, at least for lunch. Nice place to visit, but the (lodging) rooms are still decrepit. There's a display in the basement level of photos etc. from the (tv) movie.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM

I have been in the public rooms and have eaten at the restaurant but haven't stayed. I know they remodeled 7 or so years ago and raised prices accordingly.

Sue
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I stayed the middle of November and the room, while somewhat small, was charming and clean with very nice furnishings and bedding. I was impressed.

Sue
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
nlg

Several years ago we visited Estes Park for the day. We took the ghost tour at the Stanley Hotel. It was an interesting way to spend an hour or so-we got to see some of the rooms and hear some of the history of the hotel.