Search

Estes Park

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 09:45 PM
terri

Estes Park

My husband and I are planning a trip to Estes Park in June of 1999. We don't fish but we do like to golf and go antiquing. Also sightseeing and driving. If you have any tips please reply!! Thanks

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 09:25 AM
Bob Brown

I cannot help you on the golf and antique stuff around Estes Park.
But Rocky Mountain is mainly a hikers park. there is the one spectacular drive on Trail Ridge Road that gets up over 12,000 feet and provides stupendous views. Unless mountain roads frighten you, take the drive. It is worth it.

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 09:03 AM
Kimberley

Can a Corvette make it through "trail Ridge Road"?

THanks

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 08:23 AM
Bryan Caswell

Yes, you can make it across Trail Ridge Road with any kind of vehicle, as it is a nice paved highway with no tight turns. I would suggest Old Fall River Road; a one way road up to the top of the world that you will never forget! It is the original road up the pass and is still gravel, just as it was the turn of the century when it was built. Be sure to take advantage of several pull-offs that you come across. The first one (about 5 minutes into the trip) has a short walk to a beautiful waterfall. Another pull-off near the top has a short trail into the tundra where there are usually Elk and other wildlife nearby.
At the top you'll want to spend some time at the Alpine Visitors Center, which has a fast food, and a store to by anything you could want... Then drive back down to Estes on Trail Ridge Road, stopping a few times on the pull-offs to really get the best view. It's hard to take it all in while trying to drive...
This is my favorite drive in all of the Rockies, and I've visited there 4 of the last 5 summers...

Have fun!

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Jan

I would strongly recommend a visit to the Baldpate Inn just south of town for either lunch, supper or an overnight stay. Lois Smith is a great cook & dinner is usually an all you can eat of 3 good soups/stews, salad bar, and her homemade breads/biscuits. We've stayed there twice & wouldn't consider missing a visit there if only for the views & warm hospitality. The Inn is a beautiful kinda funky historic log lodge set up on the side of a mountain overlooking Estes Park with all those amazing mountains around it. Also there's a wonderful gourmet restaurant farther south in Allenspark called the Fawnbrook Inn. It's quite expensive, as I recall, but we were glad that we blew the budget a bit since it was probably the best meal we've ever had in the USA (& that includes LA & SF!). Don't miss Trail Ridge & Old Fall River roads & to really enjoy them you really must get out at the mainy vantage points & hike some of the trails. Take a warm jacket for the summit since you'll be above the tree line - it's VERY windy, there will still be snow - & good hiking shoes are recommended. I was glad to have mits & ear muffs for our hike on the trails across the tundra. Also take water (& I don't mean pop or coffee)for sure with you & drink lots of it to help with dehydration & "elevation sickness". It can sneak up on you making you feel cranky, headachey & tired but will go away as you go down in elevation. I could write on & on; so many great memories are flooding back. We're from Ontario & try to get to Colorado every couple of years & are well overdue. I really miss my fix of "Rock Mountain High"!! )

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 04:19 PM
lor-former estes park resident

I also agree the Old Fall River Road would be great to drive....BUT it does not open until approximately July 4 (it takes that long to clear the snow). Anyway, Trail Ridge Road will most likely be open in June (they try to open it by the end of May), but keep in mind that it can still snow in June and the road is not guaranteed to be open. The drive to Bear Lake is almost always open and is nice too (but nothing like Trail Ridge Road). One more note on roads...don't drive Trail Ridge Road if you are afraid of heights.

Good hikes for June.....you are going to have to stay low, so Bear Lake hikes will be out (still covered in MANY feet of snow). Maybe try to go to Bridal Veil falls from McGraw Ranch trailhead. It is about 3 miles (or a little more) one way and about 1000 foot elevation gain. If you want a shorter hike, go to Wild Basin area (about 15 miles south of Estes Park, near Allenspark) to the Wild Basin trailhead and hike the main trail which goes to Copeland Falls (small) at 0.3 miles, Calypso Cascades (nice) at 1.8 miles, and Ouzel Falls (beautiful) at 2.7 miles (all miles are one way). Take your time on this walk and then head a couple miles south to Allenspark to the Meadow Mountain Cafe which is wonderful.

As far as restaurants go, the Baldpate is excellent, and my personal favorite is Sweet Basil Cafe which is new within the last 1.5 years and serves authentic italian food. But make reservation because there are only 9 tables. I heard Fawn Brook was good but too expensive. If you like vegetarian try Notchtop. DO NOT go to the Bighorn restaurant....they claim to have been voted "best breakfast" but it was horrible. The Bistro is really good too.

All ranger programs are excellent and free - check them out!

I think there are 1-2 golf courses, but I haven't golfed them. Not much for antiques in Estes, but there are some places in Longmont, Allenspark, and I think Lyons (all within 1 hour drive).

Please email me if you have more specific questions!