Reload this Page >

Mendocino, Garberville, Trinidad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 04:29 AM
skidmore

We are planning a trip in September that will include stops in Mendocino and Garberville, and perhaps Trinidad. I would be very grateful about suggestions of where to stay and what to do (we have a 2 and 1/2 year old). Thank you.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 01:42 AM
BT

Garberville really is just a spot on the map for a place to sleep if you are using the Redwood park. Mendocino is far more beautiful and interesting (although very touristy). Of the three I prefer Trinidad. We have stayed in all 3 B&Bs in Trinidad and most prefer the Lost Whale. I like the Trinidad area more than any other along the northern California coast. Patrick's Point park is very beautiful and so is the small parkhigh on the pennisula at Trinidad bay.
It is foggy there often however.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 11:51 AM
Scott

The North Coast is indeed very beautiful. Patrick's Point is ruggedly beautiful, with a great State beach. It is often cool and foggy, though September is the best time to visit.

Your proposed stops are over a hundred miles apart. You will also pass Eureka, Arcata, Ferndale and Fort Bragg on your way from one location to another.

I have stayed in Mendocino many times. It is probably the most expensive and most crowded place on the North Coast for tourists. The latest two times I was in Mendocino was at the Sweetwater Inn. It was the most reasonable in terms of cost. It's not palatial, but was relaxing and enjoyable.

There are numerous other places on the Coast that are worth considering. I'd search the internet (type Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Eureka, etc. lodging).

Things to do include beach walking (Patrick's Point is nice, as is Sea Ranch, Manchester State Beach, etc. There are seven or eight State beaches in the area). Mendocino is probably the best place for walking around touristy boutique-type stores. The redwood area is wonderful for hiking. Fort Bragg is a great small town, and they have a side street off Highway One which has some interesting shops.

North of Patrick's Point are more redwood parks, with splendid hiking and camping opportunities. Your kids can burn off lots of energy doing that.

Mendocino has some nice restaurants. (You must understand that Mendocino has a lot of the artist, artsy crafty people). We had a great dinner at the Mendocino Cafe at a reasonable price. We've also eaten at the Bayview Cafe, and the Mousse Cafe.

E-mail me privately if you're interested in more info. I have lots at home in the file cabinet.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 12:22 PM
Monica Richards

If you decide to stay in Fort Bragg instead of Mendocino, I highly recommend the Noyo River Lodge (or the Lodge at Noyo River).

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 06:54 PM
Shana

We stayed at the Little River Inn, a couple of miles south of Mendocino during August 98. It is a gem. It's in a quiet area, and we had a beautiful view of the ocean from our room. There is a trail from the Inn to a State Park, where you can go on easy hikes with your child (maybe see a deer like we did). Also, there is an uncrowded beach right across the road from the park, where you can relax and watch people diving for Abalone. The people who own it are very friendly. It's a short drive to Mendocino, but that was okay with us. You can read about it at various web sites.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 07:04 PM
Kathy

Having lived in the Mendocino area for the past 20 years, I am somewhat surprised at some of the above posts. Not only that, for six of those years I had a B & B in the village itself. Yes, it is busy as many people come to visit. But please put into perspective that it is a village of barely over 1,000 people so that to equate its "crowds" with even a city of 10,000 doesn't "compute".
I would also take into consideration that some of the recommended lodging is fine for couples, but many of the smaller inns do not accept toddlers. One that does, and you might consider, is the Stanford Inn by the Sea/Big River Lodge. It's located on Big River, just across the river and a bit east of the Village of Mendocino. Nice, distant ocean views but, more importantly a "kid friendly" environment complete with a mini petting zoo--llamas, etc--and an indoor pool. It's very near Big River Beach which would be an ideal attraction for children--lots of space to work off energy, and amazing scenery for adults to enjoy as well.
Yes, there are lots of shops in the village.....but I can't imagine a 2 1/2 year old would enjoy shopping! The Mousse Cafe is the best bet for food--Mendo Cafe does have an outside deck which is ideal in good weather. Sept. is an excellent month to travel the coast as the summer fog has usually evaporated by that time.
Don't know much about Garberville--have stayed a few times at the Benbow Inn there which is quite nice, but I'm not sure of its "kid appeal"! Do believe The Lost Whale in Trinidad accepts children as I have friends who have stayed there with theirs. As mentioned, Patrick's Pt. is beautiful. Great local restaurant there is Larrupin Cafe.
Have a great trip!