Search

Escape the city?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape the city?

Can anyone please surgest a day trip out of manhatten? We are visting in July for 5 nights this is our 3rd visit and although we love New York we would like to escape somewhere for a day Perhaps somewhere pretty and 'green' where we could walk.Can anyone help?
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
J62

Q: will you have a car or will you rely on public transportation?

Q: by walk, so you mean stroll, as you would do through Central Park, or hike, as in several mile trek through hills (or something between)?

Q: how far are you wishing to travel. 30min-1hr afar won't will offer some options, ~1.5hr will open up more ideas.

There are lots of very pretty green places quite close to Manhattan, going East, West, and especially North.

If you provide more info (Q above) we can provide some choices for you.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

We will not have a car .By a walk I mean 4 -8 miles depending on how much time we have.I do not mind how far we have to travel but we need to be able to do it all in one day .We also have to get there in the first place so if you have any surgestions on this front i would be very interested.Thanks for you response and interest,regards
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Why not the Cloisters and Fort Tryon Park?

http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?area=12009
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
J62

Here's one option you can reach by rail (75min ride) right along the Hudson river at Cold Spring, NY. The hike isn't a cake walk, so it might be too much. The inital part is the tough part. 750' elevation gain in 1mile, but the area is beautiful, as are the views of the Hudson River, West Point, and the Catskills in the distance.

There are several great restaurants in Cold Spring (Hudson House & Cathryn's Tuscan Grill) so you could make a whole day trip out of it.

www.nynjtc.org/trails/record/20030605.htm

The web site has detailed trail directions and description, and the nynjtc.org site lists some stores that carry detailed trail maps.

train schedules can be found at
www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/ going from NYC Grand Central to Cold Spring, on the Hudson line.

I'm sure there are other locations accessable by public transit, including the NJ Palisades but I can't recommend specifics. Perhaps others will chime in.

If any others come to mind I'll chime in again.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I would take the cruise up the Hudson to Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate. Plenty of walking there.

http://www.365tickets.com/attractions.cfm/attractId/522

Or cruise to Bear Mountain.
http://www.nyc.com/guided_tours/Bear...ts_nearby.aspx

Some more ideas
http://www.littleviews.com/home/newyork/day_trips.cfm
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Second the idea for Bear Mountain - esp if you sail up the Hudson - the Palisades can be beautiful and you can even get an idea of what the original Patroons saw and what inspired the Hudson River school of painting.

Bear Mountain has lot of territory for hiking as well as other activites and a pretty lodge for casuale meals (and yes - there are bears - wild ones wandering the woods - but they're black bears and not overtly hostile unless you corner them).