EPCOT TRIP FOR ADULTS

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EPCOT TRIP FOR ADULTS

Cany anyone suggest a great resort in the Disney complex for an adult couple going to Epcot for a few days. Also good Restaurants? Looking at Port Orleans/Riverside or French Quarter or Animal Kingdom Lodge. What do you suggest?

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM

IMHO - for the most adult atmosphere - and the fewest rugrats go for the Grand Floridian. Or - I would stay off the grounds at the Hyatt Grand Cyprus - even fewer kids - and a great resort in itself.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We loved staying at the Dolphin. THey have the "Friendship Boats" that take you to Epcot. Not many children stay at the Swan/Dolphin because although they are on site at WDW and you get the perks of staying on site, they are not Disney Hotels. The hotels are a three minute walk from the Boardwalk area where there are several restaurants and shops and entertainment.
We love eating at the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. We also loved Palio at the Swan.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM

If you're going to Epcot, there are resorts that are within walking distance. DH and I go a lot and we don't have kids yet. Our favorite is the Boardwalk Inn, which has a lot of action on the boardwalk - restaurants and Jellyrolls, a dueling piano bar that's fun. There's also Yacht Club and Beach Club. Yacht Club is quieter, more elegant and has less children compared to Beach Club. The only one of the 3 I haven't stayed at is Beach Club.

I know you didn't mention any of the 3 resorts I mentioned above. I've also stayed at Port Orleans - both Riverside and French Quarter - and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I like all 3. I love being able to see the animals from my room, and there are 2 restaurants on property. There is a lot of detail in the resort, and there are activties - I like the night vision goggles. The bad part is that it is far from everything except Animal Kingdom and you only have buses for a deluxe. But it is neat.

I like both Port Orleans. French Quarter is the New Orleans themed one and is the smallest of the moderates. Riverside has 2 parts: one is Southern mansions and the other is the bayou. I've only stayed in the mansions part and it is really pretty and romantic. You can take a boat to Downtown Disney from either, which is nice. I don't think you can wrong with any of the Disney resorts; I just think it's what theme you like and what you want to be close to.

My favorite restaurants:
Bistro de Paris in Epcot
Le Cellier in Epcot
Artist Point in Wilderness Lodge

Epcot is my favorite park. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:18 PM

we just returned from a three day adults only trip to orlando. i'd recommend the Swan/Dolphin or yacht club for walking distance to epcot, or take the boats. before booking at the swan or dolphin, ask about any large groups that may be there at the same time. we stayed elsewhere but roamed thru those properites and went over to the boardwalk and they were crawling with a high tech convention. AK lodge is supposed to be very nice. For food at epcot - we like chef du paris or the bistro. Le cellier at Canada has gotten good reviews and Rose and Crown in UK for a great ringside seat for the fireworks would be quite nice.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been at the Dolphin when there were conventions. Actually, it turned out to be a good thing. The pools were empty because the conventioners were at meetings all day!!!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Also consider getting a copy of "Disneyworld for Adults". We planned a delighful trip a few years ago that went perfect.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:09 AM
GoTravel

Love love love Epcot!

Stay onsight.

This is the trick; do the educational side of Epcot first. That will take you until around 4PM if you get there by opening. Test track is my fave but haven't done the new 'space' ride.

It is a lot of fun and you'll have a great time.

Walk over the bridge and start happy hour in The World Showcase.

We like to start with either Black & Tans in the British pub in Great Britain or start with Margaritas and Nachos in Mexico on the other end.

Situate yourself for fireworks about and the midway point (Japan or Norway??). Also, Japan has one of those great habachi restaurants.

Ride public transportation back to hotel.

Once tip, the International Food & Wine Festival will be going on at Epcot through November.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I'd second the recommendation for the Swan/Dolphin. I think the Swan had fewer children than the Dolphin, but both are great. The Swan boats take you right to Epcot, but you have to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom so the location is perfect for an Epcot only trip. If you're military, a teacher, firefighter or police, they offer some good discounts too.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM

The Yacht Club is beautiful and a very short walk to Epcot.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:49 AM
JJ5

I've stayed 6 or 7 different places and over different eras, with kids and with my grown daughter alone etc. So I think I have a pretty wide overview. EPCOT is my favorite as well.

Swan/Dolphin are great. But I think staying on the back side of EPCOT is essentially the best location in Disney World. The restaurants around the lagoon etc. and all other hotels are also easy access from there.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is nice but it is my most unfavorite of all the places that I've stayed. It is just too far from everything else and you have a feeling like you are a commuter because of it, IMHO. I did, definitely.

Yacht Club was tremendous all around, and absolutely the favorite of my stays.

Port Orleans is ok but it is totally a couple steps down in service/quality levels. I've also stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney Institute, and the Swan. And one time at the Polynesian many, many years ago. I have never stayed at the Grand Floridian. That is the top ranked, I believe.

I would not even consider the Polynesian or the Contemporary because of the mobs of people at the Magic Kingdom trampsing through all the time.

My favorite Disney World show was at the Polynesian for years and years, but they no longer have the luau dinner. That and all the island nations' dance groups were top notch.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM
sam

I agree with the others about staying within walking distance: Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I would stay at either the Yacht/Beachclub (BEST pool of any on-site resort IMO) or at the Boardwalk. these are truly "walkable" to Epcot and are closer than either the Dolphin or Swan. And, if it makes a big difference to you, neither will probably have as many, if any, convention/meeting attendess as would the Dolphin/Swan. BUT, you'll also probably pay more.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Have been many times without kids. Would like to try Animal Kingdom Lodge to see animals outside room but probably near Boardwalk would be more central. Any of the resorts as named above. The best restaurants are California Grill at Contemporary resort, Flying Fish on the Boardwalk, (forget the name) in Animal Kingdom Lodge.
In Epcot, Tapanyaki Steak house in Japan is fun. Go for dinner then stay for the fireworks.
As mentioned drinks at England Pub or Mexico (both outdoors, not indoors).
All the parks are fun for adults, you get a whole different perspective. (and it's fun to watch other parents "struggling" with their kids--been there, done that).
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM

As I mentioned above, we just returned from adults only in orlando. the wine festival was our main draw. We actually began the day by walking over to the mission space area and getting a fast pass, then heading to test track and back for the fast pass. Mission space is cool but I think they have may toned it down a bit since it opened. Still lots of fun. You can also get plenty of wine samples with little cards for each to help you remember...not that your memory won't be crisp after a full day of imbibing! Australia was having a wine walkabout with 9-12 different varieties for $7/person. Lots of food samples, more wine samples than I can remember. If you're there in the October/November timeframe, this is a must see and do!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:08 AM

I would recommend the Boardwalk Inn. It is our favorite at WDW. We have stayed at The Beach Club, Port Orleans (both French Quarter and Riverside) and the Caribbean Beach Resort. We enjoyed the Boardwalk Inn so much we are going again in January. The atmosphere is lovely and it's a short walk to EPCOT.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous, but, of course, not really convenient to EPCOT. I would recommend having dinner at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (either BOMA or Jiko). Either of these restaurants are a good choice (BOMA is a buffet, but fantastic) and you can see the Animal Kingdom Lodge while you're at it.

For more info on Disney go to disboards.com - tons of information on this site.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM

We stayed at the Beachclub this summer and it was fantastic - very quiet, and the pool is amazing. You might get a better deal by renting DVC (Disney Vacation Club) points to stay at either Beachclub or Boardwalk. There is a forum for that at www.disboards.com.

www.allearsnet.com and www.wdwinfo.com both have excellent restaurant information - including menus & pricing. "Jiko" at the Animal Kingdom lodge is a good choice. "Victoria & Alberts" and a reservation at the "California Grill" when you can go out on the observation deck and watch the fireworks is a treat. I liked Akershus Royal Banquet Hall in the Norway pavillion but it gets miked reviews depending on your views of Norwegian food.

You'll be relieved to learn that there is a funnel cake kiosk at the American Adventure in Epcot.

www.mousesavers.com posts resort discounts.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. It surely was appreciated. I wrote down the names of the restaurants, too, that you all recommended.

We were hoping to make the International Food Festival but I think it is over a few days before we are to arrive. Think it ends on 11/13. Too bad.

Thanks again !!!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM

the wine fest is fabulous, especially the specialty dinners and parties. My review was posted today around 1:30. As far as EPCOT restaurants at the countries, for the most part I've been disappointed. Prices too high and they have been "Americanized" to please the masses. better food outside the parks. I agree with other poster about Hyatt Grand Cypress. If you're off season, you should get a great deal. Lovely place.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Our extended family of 14 (mostly adults) will be staying at the French Quarter in early Dec, we chose this hotel because of price and it has been completely remodeled in the past year. Have stayed at the Yacht Club, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge a few times but am looking forward to the change.

In addition to disboards, www.allears.net also has tons of info and restaurant reviews, hope this helps

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -