Search

Entertainment Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Tammy

Entertainment Card?

I've read a lot of posts that talk about discounts by using an entertainment card. Can someone tell me more about this and where I can get one?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Dee

Tammy...what city do u live in?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:52 AM
xxx

Hi Tammy - go to www.entertainment.com and search for the book for your area - it also includes discounts for hotels, rental cars, cruises, etc. that you can use nationwide. Its a deal at $25 because after using just a few of the many many buy one, get one food offers (restaurants, fast food, etc.) you make up the purchase price.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Tammy

I live in Boston, but I've seen it in reference to Hawaii, which is where we're going on our honeymoon in June. Looking to save anyway we can. Is is worth it just for a 14-day trip?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Tammy

I guess a better question is, do I buy the hawaii 2001 book or the boston 2001 book and use the card in Hawaii for discounts?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Julie

I bought the 2000 Hawaii book and used it last November. We mainly used it for the two-for-ones to enter museums and also for a dinner cruise. Just on these items we saved around $200. Paid $29 for the book. It was worth it.

We never even tried using it for the hotel. The hotel part of it always seemed worthless.

Also, there was a coupon for the inter-island airfare which seemed to be a great deal if there are only two of you. We did better by buying this 6-pack deal since there were three of us.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Tammy

Thanks. Just what I needed to hear. I did see stuff about hotels on the board, but wasn't sure on the rest. There are only two of us, so if the interisland flights are in there, that in itself might be worth it.

Thanks for the info.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Julie

There is only one coupon for a two-for-one inter-island flight. This will save you about $125. If you plan on going to more than one island you might be better off buying the 6pack from aloha airlines like we did. It gives you 6 one-way tickets for, I think $325. Check into it.

Also, we bought the 4 day bus pass for $10. You could take the public bus all over Oahu using this.

If you like sushi, they sell very cheap, but good sushi at the ABC stores. By night-time we were exhausted so we bought some each night and ate it in our room while watching the news or a movie.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:27 AM
tammy

I think we'll get the hawaii book. Then we can take a look at it over the next couple of months to get ready for the trip. We're so excited.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:42 AM
lisa

I disagree with whoever said the hotel part was worthless -- that is the part that was most worthwhile for us! Saved 50% on our hotels on Maui and Kauai, plus saved a lot on our rental car thru National on both islands. Didn't find the dining coupons, excursion discounts, etc. worth it.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:59 AM
scigirl

The interisland flight coupon in the 2001 book has already expired. Big disappointment - so don't buy the book for that coupon. (It expired in Dec 2000 - why they even bothered putting it in the book is beyond me). Most of the restaurant participating in the book are on Oahu, a handful on Maui, and few on the Big Island, and almost none (or none) on the other islands. If you are not coming to Oahu it may not be worth getting the book. If you already have an entertainment book for Boston you can use it for the hotel and car rental discounts. On all islands there are loads of coupon books at the airport, shops (101 things to do on Maui, 101 things to do on Oahu, Maui Gold, Ohau Gold, Oahu This Week, etc. etc. etc.), sidewalk paper boxes, etc. full of discount coupons for activities (e.g. whale watching, sunset cruise, etc.).

I hope this is helpful. I live on Oahu and use the book a lot for dining, but I don't even bother to take it with me when I visit the other islands.

For interisland flights you can buy 'flight coupons' from a travel agent or from the airlines (I think). Interisland coupons run 55-60 depending on the airline. YOu then just reserve your flight with the airline. The interisland flights run pretty much like buses - many times per day between many destinations.