End of May too early for Yellowstone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking going to Yellowstone NP over the Memorial Day week -- end of May to first week of June. Has anyone been there at that time? Heard that Spring is the worst time to go to Yellowstone, but how bad is it for hiking and sightseeing?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM
maj

Memorial Day is late this year. We went two years ago after the worst winter they had in many years. We were there the week before and week after Memorial Day. There was still lots of snow piled alongside the roads and Dunraven Pass didn't open until half way through our trip. It is a fantastic time to go -- tons of animals and babies. It was not the best time for hiking because most of the trails were either closed because of bear activity or snow covered but sightseeing was great. Our favorite time to go -- in fact going again this year. Highly recommend it.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, maj. What did you mean by "bear activity" -- lots of bears during May? Sounds like you enjoyed the trip nevertheles.

The other option is over July 4th week, but concerned it would be too crowded?

Which airport do you recommend for flying? Jackson, WY or Bozeman or Billing? I could also try to book 2 one-way tickets, like flying into Jackson and departing from Bozeman, so we don't have to backtrack. But concerned whether car dropoff rate would be too high? Has anyone done this? Appreciate your suggestions!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Late May -early June is amazing time to go. Small crowds and tons of wildlife. We went at same time a few years ago and saw it all. Lamar Valley was incredible. We saw many wolves, grizzlies, badger, bighorn, moose, elk etc. Weather can be all 4 seasons-but that just makes it more of an adventure!!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 02:37 PM
maj

When they close certain trails for bear activity it means that there are bears (especially mothers and cubs) around that trail. They do this for safety for both the bears and the humans. Although the animals tolerate us being in their park pretty well, the rangers don't want people stressing them more then necessary. In the spring especially you see lots of bears (and other animals) from the roads.

Are you planning on going this year? Also, have you just started researching for it? How long will be be there? What do you plan to do/see? I'm asking this because there are lots of different ways to approach visiting GTNP (which I would definitely include) and YNP which may determine the airport. We usually fly into and out of Jackson (but it is usually the most expensive). You can start in Jackson, go up the east side of the figure 8 loop in Yellowstone, down the west side and then back to Jackson (the only backtracking you would do is between GTNP and YNP which isn't that far. Or, if you want to try to see the Beartooth Hwy you could fly into Billings and out (or vice versa) Jackson.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM

We flew into Billings in June 14, 2008. Beartooth HWY was closed. Luckily, the all the roads in Yellowstone opened on June 15. We did drive the Chief Joseph HWY instead of the Beartooth. If it were to do over again, I would just stick with Jackson. However, I still hope to drive the Beartooth someday.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM

You really do not want to mess with bears in the Spring. They have just woken from a long winter's nap and are HUNGRY! Plus the females have cubs. Really listen to the Ranger's advice about staying clear!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the good suggestions. BTW, what is special about Beartooth Hwy?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Another question: I could also get tickets the week of July 4th. Would the parks be too crowded then? Worse in GTNP or YNP? Would the landscape still be green (or brownish already)? Could I still see wildflowers?

Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM

You'll still see some wildflowers and it should still be mostly green. In my experience Yellowstone is more crowded than GTNP, esp places like the Falls, Old Faithful, and Mammoth.