Encinitas/Carlsbad Flower Fields

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of you North County San Diegans - Can anyone tell me if the flower fields along El Camino Real are in full bloom yet? If not, any idea how long before they will be? Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:23 PM

I live in Coronado and haven't been up that direction for a while, but I do know that the flower fields are open thru May 10, so they should be peaking about now. Here is their website: www.theflowerfields.com.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:36 PM

The website shows a 3/31 pic with the fields in full flower. And the weather today is glorious!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

TRIP REPORT: Alas - the hundred of acres of hillside flower fields I remember from the 1970's along El Camino Real in Encinitas are gone. They have fallen victim to the unbridled growth in north San Diego County and are now covered by homes and commercial centers. It's a real shame - they were something to behold!

A remanent can be found a little further north in Carlsbad, just off I-5 at Palomar Airport Road. The Flower Fields (at web site: www.theflowerfields.com) is in full bloom, or was a few days ago. It has a few acres of multicolored flowers, arranged in broad rows by color, and a very large field of flowers approximating an American flag.

Unlike the open fields I remember, this is a gated and fenced operation that charges a small entry fee ($7, $5 seniors and kids). The entire area can be easily walked in an hour but they also sell wagon rides ($2)pulled by old farm tractors. It's just around the corner from Lego Land so families might enjoy stopping in the flower fields for an hour before visiting Lego Land.

It's enjoyable and pretty but, IMO, not worth driving a far distance to see unless you live in the area or it's on the way to somewhere else.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:29 AM

We paid to see the Carlsbad flower fields last year, and unless you really love flowers, it's not worth the price of admission, much less the time and cost of gas to get there.

mscarls