Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:34 PM
4khansen

Can anyone tell me if the Embassy Suites located in the Financial District is close to the subway lines? Also, which airport would be the best to arrive at and make it to the hotel the easiest, cheapest?

Thanks

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:43 AM
travelbuff

Yes there are several subway lines in the area and not a far walk. The closest airport to the city is LaGuardia, and there is a bus you can take which will drop you off in the area from the airport.

There are also shuttle services you can get to take you right to the hotel, for a slightly better rate than a cab.

Also if you don't have alot of luggage you can fly into JFK and take the A train from the airport right into the city and there is a stop not far from the hotel and that will cost you $1.50.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Abbey

Here is a link to the shuttle service: http://www.nyairportservice.com/index.html check the schedules and fares and see what is best for you. The shuttle will only service hotels between 33rd Street and 57th, so you would need to catch a cab from either the Port Authority or Grand Central. I always use the shuttle from the airport (there are usually 2 of us) but we stay in midtown and would not need additional transportation; a cab from the airport may work best for you.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Abbey

Oops, just saw that you were also looking for the most economical way into the city; travelbuff's train information (above) might be the way to go! Have a great time!

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:10 AM
a

Close is a relative term.

I would not consider the hotel as being close to any subway line. The closest is at least a 10 minute walk away. Further you have to cross a major street (West St.) to get to the subway. LGA is the most convenient and if 2 to 4 people are involved a taxi is the way to go.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:46 AM
suzanne

I'm surprised that everyone says LaGuardia is the closest airport to downtown. Newark is just as close! I take car service from my home in Brooklyn (near the end of the Br. Bridge) to Newark and it has never taken me more than 1/2 hour. Embassy Suites is even closer to Newark than where I live.

JFK definitely has the cheapest transportation option - a $1.50 subway ride - but it would take you about an hour, and isn't so good if you have heavy luggage.

I wouldn't take one of those shuttles...they take forever and I don't think they go to downtown hotels.

Other options include the NY Airport Bus Service (from any of the airports) which run between $12 and $18 per person (roughly) or the Newark Airtrain $11-something per person. However, they do not stop downtown. You'd still have to switch to the subway at Penn Station or Port Authority (the A/C/E train). Again...not easy to do if you have heavy luggage, and definitely not worth it if there is more than 1 person traveling, since you pay per person.

The easiest thing to do is take a taxi from Newark or LaGuardia, and the cheapest is the subway from JFK.