Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale- Be warned!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lovely hotel, but just came back from a weekend there and was disappointed by major management and staff problems. To be specific:
1. Non-smoking room REEKED of smoke. Couldn't move- we had adjacent rooms and hotel was full. In fact, they were asking guests to stay elsewhere at their expense.
2. Coffee maker didn't work, we never got another. 2 phone calls and next day later, the problem was fixed.
3. Thermostat in workout room was broken and it was blistering hot.
4. Maid finished cleaning room at 4 pm.
5. Staff at front desk couldn't figure out how to change charge cards. They had 3 rooms instead of two, despite the fact that I had called personally the week before to check everything.They were incompetent in many ways.
6. Concierge told us shuttle to Sawgrass Mall was $5 a person. (3 people) When it returned, we were charged $65. Concierge got nasty with us and blamed someone else- no apologies.
7. Server at breakfast gave me wrong food- I politely ask for a change (it was free after all) and she glared at me.
8. Hotel filled with conventioneers, high school dance, bridal show and parties..extremely loud all the time, especially due to tile interior,and never anyone around to help you, it seemed.
9. Our bathroom floor wasn't cleaned in 2 days and had muddy footprints on it.
10. Pool area is nice, but traffic along 1A makes it unpleasant.
11. There were only 2 people in this hotel who smiled at any of us or said "thank you".
This was not a cheap hotel- we paid about 150 night on special deal. The hotel isn't near the water taxi; it is convenient to the airport, however.It is on busy highway and the intersection lights weren't long enough at all. Walking from there was a bit scary.
Next time I stay in FLL, I'll choose the Marriott!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Dan

Sounds like a bad stay for sure. I do think you're being a little nitpicky on some things. For instance, "room not cleaned until 4." So? Housekeepers work 8-5 like everyone else and some rooms will be cleaned later in the day. Also, the "glaring" waitress and "loud" comments make me thing you're upset and are finding little things to complain about.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:26 AM
wow

Well,Dan, all the "little things " add up & for Linda they combined for a very unenjoyable stay. This Forum is theoretically a place where travellers can express candid opinions. I,for one, thank Linda for her comments!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:46 AM

I too have had major problems with an Embassy Suites. For me it was the Anaheim North. After our stay and multiple problems with the shuttle, and a completely unacceptable response from the manager when I complained, I sent a letter to the GM. Her response was quick (FedExed) and she gave us a gift cert. for 3 nights free. Unfortunately, when we got there it was immediately clear they had the same problems with the shuttle and our room was so noisy we barely got any sleep. We checked out the next day and they never even asked why. I'll never stay at an Embassy Suites again.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Dan, I'm not a nitpicker at all. This isn't a 40 buck Days Inn. The kids from the school dance were making lots of noise in the open lobby at a late hour. The tile interior reverberates all that-if I needed sleep or had small children that would be a concern. Not all hotels are set up this way. The server was giving me a dirty look- my 3 friends commented on it. Maybe she didn't like blonde all-American girls, if you know what I mean. Also, the maid who finished our room late jumped on the "down" elevator in front of us and hit the "Up" button so she could go to next floor. Very rude! Ans since we were out of room at 9 am, I think it should be finished by 4...she was actually later than that another day. There are 2 people who need to shower and change for dinner. JMHO.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:21 AM

With all due respect, as Linda's stay was clearly a disaster, Embassy Suites as a chain is not known for service.
It's considered a value-plus chain---larger than average rooms, free breakfast etc.
Marriotts are more geared toward servicing the business traveller's needs, and you'd be less likely to encounter some of these problems at an average Marriott.
That said, if you want consistently top notch service, you have to pay for it. $150 a night is a Super 8 in NYC, and won't net you a room at any Four Seasons I can think of.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Hi Linda,I don't blame you for being upset for shotty service...especially at $150 per night! We stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach when we went to Fort Lauderdale and the room,service,location,beach and pool were all A+ in my book.Maybe you might want to think about staying there on your next trip?...It's just a friendly suggestion.I paid $150 for pool/ocean view room.Worth every cent too!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Linda,

I hope you are planning to express your dissatisfaction with the Embassy Manager. We stay at Embassy Suites alot and never have had all the problems you described. The management needs to be appraised of the problems with your stay. Most Embassy Suites have a 100% satisfaction guarantee (or at least they have in the past). If you are unhappy they do not charge you for the room. We have never had to use this, though. Let the local management as well as corporate management know your frustrations.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:19 PM

I used the 100% guarantee at the Boca Raton Embassy Suites several times with no problems. Embassy Suites are laid out in such a way as to maximize noise, so you can't expect complete quiet. The interior atrium area is conducive to noise and it definitely travels!

I'm sorry you had such a miserable visit and hope you give Ft Lauderdale a 2nd chance and not judge us by this one hotel. The Marriott Harbor Beach and Radisson Bahia Mar are very nice and close to the action.

BTW -- years ago I called to check on room rates for a friend at the Ft Laud Embassy Suites and laughed out loud at them when they mentioned "ocean view" rooms. I said, "Let me guess...this is a room on the top floor, on the southeast corner of the building, and if you look real hard over the smoke stacks from the energy plant and the activities/businesses at Port Everglades, you might catch a glimmer of the ocean??" The guy realized I knew the area and laughed back... he admitted I had him on that one! You need to clarify and scrutinize the "view" you get at any hotel, but this one really took the cake!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

I was just talking to the gals who traveled with me- they are still talking about how rude the Concierge was. I think it's hard to get help. There are many different nationalities/language problems.No, I don't think less of Ft Lauderdale. I have a good friend there- it's lots of fun.The shopping was great, there are lots of good eats and we thoroughly enjoyed the water taxi. One of our friends stayed at the Marriott last year and she's doing the same pre-cruise in March. I definitely will stay there next time!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 08:13 AM

My parents stayed at the Embassy Suites FL a year ago ($57/night with Priceline) and they thought the hotel was amazing. They loved the wine reception, the rooms, everything. Thought the hotel was beautiful. What a great way to start a cruise vacation! They still rave about it.

It's amazing how different two people's stays can be at the same hotel.

Andrew
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Agree with the smoking issue, although our Embassy Suites experience was in Alexandria, VA.

We braced ourselves for heavy smoke in the land of tobacco, but the reality was far worse. The open air atrium/dining area was so thick with rising smoke at all hours that you couldn't even see across it to the elevators. Not only did we have to cross this muck to get to our room, but we had to dine in it as well.

So much for the carefully arranged nonsmoking room, as our hair and clothes reeked of second hand tobacco the entire time. It seems to me that the hotel could easily limit smoking to the rooms on the upper floors and prohibit it in the dining areas, but we are talking about Virginia after all.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:31 PM
weenie57

This smoke problem is another good reason to vacation in New York State! No smoke anywhere! Yeah!!!

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:39 PM

"The server was giving me a dirty look- my 3 friends commented on it. Maybe she didn't like blonde all-American girls, if you know what I mean."

I don't know what you mean. Could you elaborate, please?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:57 PM
GoTravel

MaryZ excellent point. Were you three too WASPy looking?