Eloping in NYC

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:41 PM
LisaS

Eloping in NYC

My fiance and I are thinking of eloping in NYC in May 2002. Any recommendations on romantic hotels or other locations (parks, restaraunts, etc.) that would accomodate a small wedding party?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:52 AM
S

It's not eloping if you bring along a small wedding party. When I eloped, it was just hubby and me & the judge.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Gina

Even if it doesn't involve a ladder up to your window, I want to tell you that I think you have the right idea. I wanted to elope, but my (now) husband wanted to have a wedding. I always have regretted it, the wedding, not the marriage!!!

Sorry I can't recommend a hotel or something. If I were you I would check out some bed and breakfasts outside of the city. They often specialize in those kind of events.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:54 AM
lisa

There is a great restaurant on the East side -- East 50's or 60's -- that is in a townhouse, with lots of private, romantic dining rooms. It is also a hotel with a few, choice rooms above. Can't recall the name -- someone help?!? -- but it was beautiful, very romantic, great food and service, but very pricey.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Owen O'Neill

I just had dinner last Friday night at L'Ecole in SoHo. It's operated by the French Culinary Institute - the kitchen is run by the chefs who teach ion the school and the front end waitstaff is students. Atmosphere is quiet, elegant and uncrowded - casual and relaxed but with incredible (I mean really incredible) food at prices that are half of what you might pay at comparable restaurants in NYC ($29.95 for the four course price fixe dinner). My dining partner found the Creme Brulee to be superior to any she's ever had including the many restaurants in Paris where where she has eaten it on prior occasions. They had a small info card included with the check that mentioned their availability for accomodating hoilday parties and groups. Might be worth checking out if you're into some great food at a more realistic price. The student servers were fine - a bit unpolished but very accomodating and friendly.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Elizabeth

The Inn at Irving Place. An old mansion, twelve guest rooms, near Gramercy Park. Do a Google search, you can find sites/pictures etc.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:01 PM
lisa

I remembered it!!! Box Tree! It was great.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:13 PM
patty

I love March as a romantic, brownstone restaurant with fabulous, fabulous food (on E. 58th Street), but if you are at the Inn at Irving Place, which friends have recommended, then maybe Verbena, also on Irving Place, would be good - especially if their garden is open at that time.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Merilee

I think the Boathouse at Central Park would be a great idea for you.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Merilee

Somehow my post left before I could finish...anyway, The Boathouse at Central Park is very lovely...the food is good and the scenery and the location (overlooking the lake) are perfect for a small wedding...and if you're feeling adventurous you and your husband can rent a canoe...

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:18 PM
nyc

Actually there are rowboats to rent near the Boathouse - lots of fun. Or you can hire a gondola with gondolier!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 07:40 AM
E.

I would recommend the Michelangelo Hotel, on 51st or 52nd at Seventh, I think--lovely. And I know native New Yorkers will want to strangle me for this, but Tavern on the Green at night is sweet, a setting out of a fairy tale. The food is not great, true.