El Paso Trip

Dec 4th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

El Paso Trip

My wife and I are thinking of flying into El Paso and doing things in and around the area (state parks, national parks, etc.). Also, we will be driving into Las Cruces and doing things in that area. Maybe go over the border for a bit if it is safe.

We like to go to different places and are in our early 30's. I have read some posts on here about El Paso and Las Cruces but I'm looking for current info since many of the posts are old.

We are thinking of around five days for the trip (will be coming from Maryland). I have located a few brewery/brewpubs to visit (as we love our beer) and I know there are parks to see within driving distance. What else is there to do in the areas?

Is El Paso and Las Cruces worth a cross-country flight?

I know there is not a ton to do in these cities, we do not care about musuems and such. We are into local stuff, local food, beer, outdoors, monuments.
Dec 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I also live in Maryland, and I've been to Las Cruces a few times. My daughter lives in Las Cruces. My wife and I like the town. We go into Mesilla to eat really authentic Mexican food. There is a restaurant there, (I don't know exactly where it is, my daughter and her husband take us there), but the food is out of this world! When I say restaurant, I use the term loosely. It's really a house with a few tables, and some outdoor tables. I can't rave enough about this place. Incidentally, of the times I have flown there, the best flight and service has been from Continental Airlines.
Dec 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Do not go into Juarez. The narco violence there is terrible.

There is good hiking in the mountains next to Las Cruces. There is also good skiing in Ruidoso.

El Paso is not the most scenic town but it has excellent Mexican food and surprising good Vietnamese food. Taste of Saigon is excellent. The most famous restaurant in Mesilla is La Posta. It can't be the one mentioned above since although it is in an historic house it is very large.
Dec 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Also, I forgot to mention make sure you visit White Sands National Monument. People sled down the sand. You can rent "snow" sleds at the gift shop at the entrance. It's very surreal, to be sledding in the middle of the desert.
Dec 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Seconding RBCal - do not go to Juarez.

What time of year are you thinking of doing this trip? Right now might actually be kind of pleasant, but summer will be really hot.

Lee Ann
Dec 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Yes, there is plenty for 5 days. No, don't go to Juarez.

Guadalupe Mountains National Park is 2 hours to the NE. Carlsbad Caverns is another hour beyond that. Couple of Texas state parks within an hour or so of El Paso (Franklin Mountains and Hueco Tanks).

With all that and a trip to Las Cruces, you have more than enough for 5 days even if you don't do anything in the cities.
Dec 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Even my many relatives who live in El Paso would say there's no reason to visit (except to see them). Surely there are better choices?
Dec 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Found a lot of outdoor stuff that seems cool on the El Paso visitors website. We've decided to go.....

Guess we will stay away from Juarez.

We love Mexican food and besides all the outdoor stuff, we can add five more brew visits to our list. Just found a new one in Las Cruces that recently opened.

I'll post back with things we are thinking of doing.
Dec 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Oh, we are going in February.
Dec 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM

"Is El Paso and Las Cruces worth a cross-country flight?"

No. But if you do go to El Paso, be sure to be armed.
Dec 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM

This is incorrect. El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US. Why do people post false info? If you don't know please don't give false info.

Juarez is dangerous, though.
Dec 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM

February should be fairly nice weather. Dress in layers and you'll be comfortable.

Lee Ann
Dec 7th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes, why are there people talking about El Paso like it is inner city Detroit. I have always seen El Paso listed as a nice place, up and coming place to move, great weather, etc...

When my wife and I were planning our trip to Detroit earlier in the year, we had numerous people ask WHY? We had a good time and were very pleased with the city/area. Yes it had crappy parts but all the people were very friendly and the riverwalk area and stadium area was nice. Blew away all my previous thoughts of Detroit.
Dec 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Places to dine:

El Paso - try Barrigas for authentic Mexican fare (just don't go when it's super busy)

http://www.barrigasrestaurant.com/

For the best steak, you'll have to drive a bit out of town to Fabens to the Indian Cliff Ranch (about 30 minutes east of El Paso on I-10, take the Fabens exit , #49, turn LEFT after you exit the freeway and just keep driving into the desert ~10 minutes, restaurant will be on your right, drive in and go up the hill, parking will be next to restaurant):
http://www.cattlemanssteakhouse.com/

For great barbeque, try Stateline (love their sauce!):

http://www.countyline.com/comeseeus....20State%20Line

Las Cruces, NM: In the town square of Old Mesilla, try the Double Eagle Restaurant:

http://www.double-eagle-mesilla.com/...Wallace%20Room

La Posta has more advertising, but I personally preferred the food at the Double Eagle.

http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/

If you are going to be in Las Cruces and you enjoy spicy food, then you HAVE to drive about 45 minutes up I-25 to Hatch, NM, home of the REALLY HOT NM chile peppers. As you drive into Hatch, stop at the first stand on your right, it's Gilly's. Great guy. I just last week got some wonderful roasted chile peppers from him, also some dried chile peppers which he had painstakingly broken off the stems and de-seeded. He gave me a big bag for about $5. (Imagine what the TSA people must have thought with a suitcase filled with chile peppers en route to California! LOL!)

One final recommendation - on the way between El Paso and Las Cruces, take Highway 28 (instead of I-10) and stop by the Stahlman Pecan Farms:

http://www.stahmanns.com/pages.aspx?id=&docid=93

Have a great trip!
Dec 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Is Truth or Consequences worth a drive?

I am sure there is nothing there but the name is just cool. My wife wants to go there just to say she's been there.
Dec 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM

There are numerous spas in TORC. Before it changed it's name to TORC, it was called Hot Springs NM.
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Is Guadalupe Mountains National Park really about 3.5 hours from El Paso?

Mileage, it's about 110 miles but Google Maps gives me 3.5 hours drive time.
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM

No, 2 hours is more accurate. Don't remember exactly what my time was but somewhere around 2.

Mapquest says Carlsbad, NM is 2:45 from El Paso and GUMO is 45-60 minutes before that.
Dec 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Weird. I checked Mapquest and it does give a shorter dirve time than Google Maps. Can't trust these things.....

Was Guadalupe worth the long drive?
Dec 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Depends on how much you like hiking. The main entrance is basically a parking lot right off the highway, with access to several trails that lead into the mountains. There are a couple of other entrances along the highway (one leads to an old ranch, the other leads to McKittrick Canyon). It is not at all a drive-thru type of park.

An overnight trip to Carlsbad Caverns combined with Guadalupe Mountains makes more sense than just going to GUMO, as far as I'm concerned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO