Eight hour layover in Philadelphia

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:09 PM
MaureenB

Eight hour layover in Philadelphia

I've never been to Philadelphia. Is there a train or a bus from the airport into town to see an historical sight, then return to the airport in six hours or so?

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Yes - this is kind of an FAQ (been asked before). The Septa R1 train will take you directly to center city from PHL for about $5 each way. It takes just under a half hour each way, and you can walk from the Market East station down Market Street over to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Go to www.septa.org for details. I think the biggest issue may what to do with your luggage; I don't think there are any lockers at the airport anymore and I know there are none at the train stations.

Andrew
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:49 AM
MaureenB

Thank you, Andrew. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for reminding me that no lockers are available anymore-- I'll pack lightly! I look forward to seeing some of Philadelphia during my short stay there. Much better than reading a book at the airport all those hours!

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM

You don't mention what day or time of day you'll be in Phila. If you want to visit Independence Hall, you need to get a ticket at the Visitors Center. It is free, but the tickets have times on them. Hopefully, it will fit into your schedule. You don't need a ticket to the Liberty Bell--just have to go through security. You probably won't have enough time to really enjoy the Constitution Center. Remember, you need to get back to the airport in plenty time for your flight. Security lines can get VERY long at Phila. airport.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM
MaureenB

I'll be there on a Saturday, around 1:00 p.m. My flight then leaves at 8:15 p.m. So if I get back to the airport by 5:15p.m., I should be fine, right? Thanks again!

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM

PHL is usually not busy Saturday afternoon-evening in my experience, but yes, you seem to be giving enough time. Check the Septa website soon before you arrive; sometimes they do maintenance on the trains and will shut down lines on weekends. If for some reason you would be unable to get back to the airport by train (unlikely) just take a cab.

Andrew
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM
yk

Unless you're flying out of PHL on an international flight, I don't think you'll need to return to the airport by 5:15pm for a 8:15pm flight. PHL is usually quiet on Sat nights.

Since you won't get in until 1pm, you probably won't be able to get into Independence Hall (all the timed tickets will be gone). But you can still visit the Liberty Bell and the National Constitution Center.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
MaureenB

Thanks again! I am flying international, so will allow plenty of time. Can't miss that flight!

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM

To give a little more detail:

As noted before, take the R1 Line from the Airport to 30th Street Station. When you get off, follow the signs to the "Market Frankford" Line, symbolized with blue signs. Right at the entrance are vending machines for which you can get two tokens for $2.60; cash only, change is given. Take the line east towards Frankford, and get off at Fifth Street. As you exit, you'll be right in front of Independence Hall. Walk around the Hall, glance at the Liberty Bell through the glass window, grab a cheese steak at the Bourse, buy a post card and have it stamped at Franklin Court with a replica of Ben's 1790's stamp, wander down Elfreth's Alley, take a glance at the collections of the American Philosophical Society. If you have the time, walk or take the Ma-Fr Line back to Fifteenth Street, where you can observe the Love Statue, City Hall, and a piece of art officially called "The Embrace" (try to guess what everybody calls it). Walk or ride back to 30th Street and take the R1 back to the airport.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
MaureenB

Thanks for all the details. I sure wouldn't want to get lost in Philadelphia on my way to Rome!

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM

I would certainly think you could walk to Independence Hall from Market East Station; I know I did, although I confess I don't remember if it was a 5 minute or a 20 minute walk. I guess it depends on how good of shape you are in. If I were in between flights I would welcome the opportunity to stretch my legs.

Andrew
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
yk

I agree with Andrew. You can take the SEPTA train from airport to Market East station, then walk to the Independence Hall area. That is no more than 10 blocks and takes less than 10 minutes. I don't think it's necessary to change for the subway line unless you're carrying heavy luggage (which you said you won't).

I've lived in Philly for 6 years and avoided taking the subway during my entire time there (it's not the most attractive way see the city).
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
MaureenB

Thank you all for your very detailed and helpful information. I look forward to my brief look at Philadelphia!

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Maureen,
My vote would be to go to the Constitution Center. It is really amazing and you will have plenty of time to visit it. It is right across the street from the Liberty Bell so it is easy to find if you are taking the R1 line as recommended by the previous posters.

If you find that you are running short on time, you can get a taxi to take you back to the airport. It is a flat rate of $25 from any point in Center City and it shouldn't take more than 30 mins.

Enjoy my hometown!