Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Edward Hopper Houses in Gloucester, Mass.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a screenwriter living in Gloucester, Mass., and I have researched and compiled a listing of the houses Edward Hopper painted here during the 1920s.
See: http://hoppertour.tumblr.com/ .
Yes, before he painted such famous scenes of urban alienation as Nighthawks, he summered on Cape Ann, drawn to the artists' colony that still exists here today.
My humble Tumblr tour is probably the most comprehensive compilation of his Cape Ann work that now exits on the internet. Several of the houses had never before been identified, I believe -- or at least, if they had been, someone was keeping it a pretty good secret; certainly, the present-day owners don't seem to have a clue!
There are still a few mysteries left, however. So, if you ever find yourself on the North Shore of Boston, go up to Gloucester and track 'em down.

Hoppy trails,
Daniel
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for sharing. It certainly makes me really look forward to our next trip to Cape Ann!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM

Just saw the Edward Hopper show in Rome at the Fondazione Roma on via del Corso. It was worth the airfare just to see this thoughtful and well-mounted show!

(I have a trip report on the Europe Forum if you want to see my detailed review of the show. Just click on my name -- then go to my Italy Report: "Rome, Florence, Lucca, Cremona".)
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Hi Daniel, as a fellow person interested in Edward Hopper I thought I let you know I may have some information you may be interested in. As a photographer I have been working on a project for the past two years throughout New England and New York identifying the places that inspired Hopper. My findings have already been presented in an open forum about a year ago here in Massachusetts, and this summer I will be exhibiting my work once again, along with a 1 hour presentation, on August 4, 2010, at the Highland Light Museum in Truro on Cape Cod. It would be wonderful to have you in attendance. You might like to know that I have photos and addresses of several places not "found" on your list online of places in/near Gloucester. Although I prefer to keep them under wraps until my presentation this summer I would be happy to share them with you as long as you do not post them to your website right away. Of course, you may have found them already too, and maybe YOUR the one trying to keep them secret...Heh Heh Heh...You'd be surprised at how many people can tell you the locations of all the Hopper's places but prefer to keep the info a secret as to keep tourists away.
Like you, I was surprised at how many of the owners of places in the Gloucester area that were unaware of Hopper's paintings. Of course it didn't help that some of the residents are renting and could care less about Hopper. Vinyl siding, replacement windows, enclosed porches, and satellite dishes have all but destroyed the charming character of several of the Gloucester area homes - but with people like us calling attention to these important structures we may persuade owners to restore them to their former glory. Already several of the owners of homes featured in images presented at the MFA's 2007 Hopper Exhibition are already working to restore the homes and landscapes - and why not, it adds value to their resale at the very least. The owner of Haskell's House is planning to replace the wrought iron grillwork on his home, and I've helped to persuade at least one home owner to re-install the billowing shades on their porch. The white house on Washington Street is now fully repainted to match Hopper's work, and "Gloucester Street" is slowly being fixed - one building at a time. Now if I can get some of these owners to get rid of those pesky satellite dishes....

Oh, I don't know where you live full-time, but if you are in the Nyack area of New York some of my Hopper comparisons will be featured at the Edward Hopper Art Center later this year. It's amazing how many Hopper places are still extant in the Nyack area. My favorites are the places throughout Cape Cod, but since trees and shrubs have dramatically changed the landscape it is tough to get shots from a perspective similar to Hopper's. I've had to take to the air to get some of the shots as trees and recent construction completely obscured several locations.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a line at... [email protected]
I will be in Gloucester again next week if you are still in the area.
-Charles
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Yes, Daniel, The Julietta House is so very grateful to have been able to hire your help and assistance with the compilation of the images and maps of the various Edward Hopper Houses of Gloucester MA. It was our former guests who introduced me to the Hopper Houses and ultimately inspired me to pay you to do this work. When it is published, you shall have the credit. Until them, the only way to get a hold of any of the maps should be through a stay at the Julietta House. So we hope fodor readers who are inspired by the Hopper tour tumbler site will visit us at www.juliettahouse.com then reserve a stay for a day or two and enjoy a self-guided tour.