eating New York

Aug 25th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

eating New York

Hello 4 Australian women coming to NY for 4 days staying at Milford Plaza Hotel 49th Street any moderately priced eating and pubs in the area where locals frequent thanks cheers
Aug 26th, 2004, 01:22 AM

go to menupages.com. click on the west 40's.
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:26 AM

9th Avenue from about 42nd up through the high 50s, has numerous restaurants and bars. You'll rarely need a reservation for these places so you can meander along and simply grab a table at one that looks interesting.

That said, places in that area that I like are Uncle Nicks, a Greek seafood, on 9th and 50th, Afghan Kebab House for really cheap, but tasty kebabs on 53rd, and Kennedy's, an Irish bar, on 57th and 10th.
Aug 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM

I suspect you lost your post like this you did the other day. When you come here, if you click on your screen name in the upper left hand corner where it says "welcome", it will bring up all your posts and you won't have to repost the same question. I've also brought your other post to the top. Sorry about my comments about the MIlford Plaza, but they still stand.
Aug 26th, 2004, 06:18 AM

You are staying in the theater district. While some people live in the area (a lot of actors ) it tends to be more theater goers. So restaurants get very crowded before performances (8 pm) but become empty between 8-10pm. Just a heads up.

Pubs or pubby type places in the neighborhood

Joe Allen on restaurant row (46th st between 8th & 9th aves) Also on the same street, The Hourglass Tavern.

Sams on 44th between Broadway & 8th ave

Angus McIndoe same st as Sams. I also like Kennedys on 57th that Ryan mentions.

McHale's on 8th & 46th is a place where I hear the stage hands hang out for the big burgers and beer but I've never been
Other reasonably priced places in the area
John's Pizzeria on that same 44 st block in an old church. They have more than just pizza. If you like Thai, Siam Inn on 8th Ave. between 51-52 is a very good local place. Order the curry puffs.

I noticed you asked about jazz. You should definitely go to Knickerbocker's in the village (Greenwich Village) one night. Good pub type food and good jazz. Here's the website. Maybe see who's playing while you're here

http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/

This website has a fairly thorough list of jazz places

http://www.ny.com/clubs/jazz/

Note Birdland which is near your hotel. If you like big bands, go there on Fri at 5:30-7:30

Have fun and try to make the best of the hotel.
Aug 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Just spent some time reading the latest reviews of your hotel. They're not so terrible. There were two complaints of things being stolen out of rooms (perfume and cigarettes) so be warned. Rooms sound small but adequate. Hope 4 of you are not sharing one room. The location is considered great by all the reviewers.

Now I've thought about my restaurant recos and while they're what you asked, I would urge you to eat/spend time out of the area of your hotel so you get a broader view of the city AND IMO, one of the best things about NYC is the variety of ethnic food. Don't just stick with what you can get at home. Ryan's suggestion of 9th Ave. is good for all the ethnic options. There's a good Mexican on 9th & 46-47 called Hell's Kitchen.

If you've got 4 nights, do go to the theater at least one night and eat in the area (Another moderate priced Italian is Trattoria Trecolori 45th betw 6th & 7th). On the other nights try exploring other neighborhoods maybe based on jazz places.

Hope you have fun.
Aug 26th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Definitely go to other neighborhoods to get a better feel for the real NYC - suggest the Village and the Upper West Side - both reachable in about 10 minutes by subway.

Both are very diverse mixed/residential areas with tons of great inexpensive restaurants, pubs and bars - also great shopping, some museums and off off shows and concerts/performances.