Search

Easter in NYC 2005

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter in NYC 2005

Can anyone tell me if it is crowded in Manhattan around Easter? Was wondering if I should try to get cheap accomodations now for family of 4 or if I am being anal.
Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I am a Long Islander, but freguent visitor to Manhattan. It is always busy in Manhanttan, especially around the holidays. April can be rainy and the weather ranges from cool (snow is not out of the question) to summer like. You never know. But Manhattan is great to visit anytime. Book your hotels and shows early. Try playbill.com for discounts (keep trying as you get closer to your visit). Stay out of the camera shops which state "going out of business", do not buy a "Rolex" watch for $20. You may want to consider a Met or Yankee game (Yankee tix go on sale in Dec. and Met tix in early Feb.). Don't miss the museums, Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty and sooo much more.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Yes, Easter is typically a busy time in NYC - eveyone gearing up for spring. If you go be sure to see the Easter Parade on the section of Fifth Ave in front of St. Pat's. The outfits are incredible/ridiclous - I especially love the animals' easter outifts - and this year there was even one woman with a (large) live iguana on her hat in an outift matching hers.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Easter is extra-early next year -- March 27. I would expect this to mean fewer crowds since the weather won't be as nice and since many school kids in the Northeast get their spring break in April.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Not based on any sort of statistics but just based on my recollection/"feel", I don't think of Easter as a particularly busy period in NY (compared, e.g., to Thanksgiving/Christmas time). I'd go with a feel of how busy hotels seem to be now (are any/many sold out yet) and base it on that.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:42 AM

It's still way too early to be looking for hotel or theater bargains for next March.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses! I will keep all your helpful suggestions in mind and will wait to book anything unless something outrageous comes along. BTW, got great airfare via United from SFO to LGA $775 for 4 of us our spring break week, 3/26 -4/2; that's why I thought I might catch other deals early. Thanx again!