East or West Coast

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Todd

East or West Coast

While looking through various threads, I noticed many people talk about the attitude of east coast, (mid west), and west coast people. Which of the coast, or the mid west
do you prefer. Have you found any of these traits to be true.

Sep 25th, 2000, 01:30 PM
xxx

THIS topic will sure to incite. I've lived in the midwest for about as long as I have lived in the east. The pace of life in the east is much faster than the midwest, from my experience. But that is about it. I lost my regional prejudice against "Easterners" when I actually moved out east, met some people and finally realized that everybody wasn't Archie and Edith Bunker. I prefer the East because of the pace and access to so many types of regions.

For my experience, I have not found certain traits in the retions to be universal truths; there are good and bad, educated and uneducated, provencial and worldly wherever you go.

Sep 25th, 2000, 02:21 PM
xxxx

I like the west coast.

Sep 25th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Paul Rabe

Have just moved to the east coast after 14 years in the midwest, nine years in Texas, and seven years in California. ALL statements are ONLY generalities, the range between individuals is FAR greater than the average differences. So don't pounce on me for stereotyping!

People on both coasts are much more open to change and diversity. People on the east coast are the crankiest. People in the center constantly say they aren't culturally backwards, which only points out they are. Few people on the west coast have any sense of connectiveness to the past.

Which do I prefer? I like all parts! Honest!

Sep 26th, 2000, 12:09 AM
Noach

Problems w/ W. Coast:

-Earthquakes
-Mudslides
-Brush fires
-Flooding

Problems w/ E. Coast:

-Weather
-Hurricanes (at least you have advance notice, though!)
-Tornadoes

Problems w/ Inland:

-Weather
-Tornadoes
-Isolation

Sep 26th, 2000, 12:28 AM
Noach

I know...I know...there's also plenty of flooding on the E. Coast!

Sep 26th, 2000, 04:05 AM
Rory

I prefer either coast to the middle.

Sep 26th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Cindy

Interesting question, Todd. If money were no object, I'd probably spend my youth on the West Coast and my more mature years on the East Coast. The West Coast is great when you are young and just looking for fun things to do all the time. But the East Coast is good when you settle down and develop some serious cultural interests.

But money is and always will be an object, so I'd go with the East Coast because there are far more livable places where a person can afford a decent lifestyle and afford to raise a family.