Reload this Page >

Need a terrific restaurant in D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 07:04 AM
Cindy

My hubby and I are looking for a recommendation for a romantic restaurant in D.C. for a special occasion. We've been to several of the old stand-by favorites (Red Sage, Vidalia, Nora, Morton's), but we're looking for something new and great. Is there a can't-miss restaurant we should try?

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:34 AM
Ann

Just took my parents to DC Coast for their anniversary. The food and service were tremendous. I can't wait to go back. I'm not sure how romantic it is, though.

1789 in Georgetown is somewhere I've never been to, but my sister raves about it. She says the food's incredible, and it's pretty swanky, so I'd imagine it's romantic.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:11 AM
me

L'Auberge Chez Francois near great Falls- No contest

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:15 AM
Dave

Just ate at 1789 last weekend. Wonderful food and very pricey (our bill was $160 for 2). DC Coast is a great restaurant, however one of my personal favorites is Olives. IT is in about the same price range as 1789, try the lamb. Wonderful.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:58 AM
lisa

Not new, but my absolute favorite is Cashion's Eat Place on Columbia Rd. in Adams Morgan. The duck and fish (especially halibut) entrees are always outstanding; also the mussels appetizer and any of the desserts.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 11:37 AM
Tim

Wendy's at 1725 K Street. The burgers are delicious.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Lisa turned me on to Cashion's about a year ago, and I doubt I'll ever be able to suitably repay her. It was one of the best meals I've had in a while.

May not be what you think of as romantic, - it's more hip/noisy/happening than "traditionally romantic". Maybe it's calmer on a Tuesday night, though.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Ruth

My husband & I just went to Laboratorio at Galileo for our anniversary and had a fabulous meal and experience. It's a small kitchen restaurant where the chef, Roberto Donna, does the cooking personally. It's not open every night and it's pretty pricey but you sure get fed well. We had 11 courses and I couldn't eat a couple. Not sure it's what I call highly romantic but it was a great experience. Email me if you want any more info about it.

I've also heard that 1789 is wonderful although I haven't been there. DC Coast is quite good, but the volume leve is pretty high. Gerard's Place is another that a lot of people like but I haven't been there so can't give a personal recommendation

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Rex

I believe reservations for Galileo's Laboratoria must be made pretty far in advance. However, I have read the food there is a special treat.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 07:16 AM
susan

I disagree about Cashion's. I had one of the worst meals I've eaten in DC there. And the atmosphere isn't really something I would choose for a special occasion.

I should say, however, that I ordered one of the specials at Cashion's rather than something off the regular menu - - so maybe it was just an off night.

What about McCormick and Schmick's or M & S Grill (both sort of near Metro Center)? The food at both is excellent.