East Coast, West Coast? Where in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I’m a 65 year old retired female from PA and am interested in renting a condo/apartment in Florida for the month of February, 2008.

I have been to Naples/ Fort Myers area, St. Augustine (Vilano Beach 2 days-great!) and drove to Key West for a short visit. I have not explored the Bradenton/Sarasota area and am curious as to what that is like.

I would like to stay as close to the beach as possible. A beach town where I could walk, ride a bike, with some good restaurants, shops, cafes, book stores, things to see and do would be great.

I’m not interested in staying in a retirement village but I don’t want a Spring Break atmosphere, either.

The small town feel of St. Augustine was appealing and it is a shorter drive from home, but it is not as warm as the Central Gulf area in February-- although MUCH WARMER than PA.

I need only 1 bedroom, but 2 bedroom, 2 bath would be nice as family members could visit.

East Coast, West Coast? About 2500-3000 per month? Opinions, ideas, help, would be appreciated!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Before we owned a place in Naples, we rented at the Pavilion Club, which is behind the Pavilion Shopping Center (don't stop reading because of that) off Vanderbilt Beach Road just west of 41. Despite a little too much cocoa, aqua, and pink in the decoration of our unit, we would do it again in a minute. You are an easy walk and easier bike ride from the beach, you are across VB Road from a public library, and at the shopping center there is a movie theatre; bike rental; post office; great newsstand; Bha Bha, one of the best restaurants in Naples; plus, inevitably, a large Publix supermarket. The condos are quiet, have a nice pool, and seem to cater to older owners and renters rather than people with kids.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ackislander, I will try to find it right away. Did you rent from the Club direct, VRBO, or another website?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM
GoTravel

Hollywood Beach Florida between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

Really inexpensive.

Also, Fort Lauderdale in the Las Olas area or Lauderdale-By-The-Sea.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM

My wife found it, but she is in London now, so I can't ask her. We have had good luck with John R. Wood Realtors.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel and Ackislander. I looked on John Wood Realtor website, but can't see anything about rentals. I e-mailed the Pavilion Club via the website, inquiring about rentals. I'll keep you posted.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Delray Beach in the middle of Palm Beach County might be perfect for you. There are a number of places on or across the street from the beach and very close to the Atlantic Ave. shop, gallery, restaurant scene. Similar to the 5th Ave and 3rd St. South parts of Naples. Delray also has a wonderful Japanese garden, Morikami Gardens, supposedly one of the finest outside Japan. Short drives to the interesting Palm Beach and Boca Raton.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM

To append: See
http://www.delraybeach.com and http://www.mydelraybeach.com/Delray/default.htm

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Brutforce

We always go to Amelia Island in January or February & although the weather can be a crapshoot...it does have all of the amenities that you require. It is also an hour closer than St. Aug. There are many places on www.vrbo.com also check out www.ameliaisland.org or www.ameliaisland.com. We either use vrbo or ERA/Fernandina Beach Realty.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM

For a small town feel, try Anna Maria Island. The beaches are stunning - white sand with greenish blue water - and it really is small and has a family (not glamour or spring break) feel. You can drive down Long Boat Key and head over to Sarasota, which is wonderful.

http://www.amichamber.org/

I'm sure you can find places to rent in your price range.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
arbutusbeach

My husband and I are looking for similar lodgings for Feb 08..we have a little 5# yorkie...wouldn't it be warmer in the Fort Meyers/Naples area? We have vacationed in Lauderdale by the Sea and the Hollywood area...it just seems way too busy for our tastes for a month. Would appreciate all advice...

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all who have replied. I've been off my computer for a while, but I'm still looking and checking out all suggestions.