Florida Gulf coast Condo/Apt to rent? help?

Old May 8th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Gulf coast Condo/Apt to rent? help?

I am looking for a 1-bed condo or apartment to rent for one week from Saturday June 28.

It should be on the beach on florida's gulf coast, moderate - upmarket resort/complex and near to some shopping / attractions. Sarasota or Naples area sound good?

We don't know Florida at all and as there is so much choice, I would welcome any tips or advice. Many thanks.

Sally
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:28 AM

Hey Sally, where are you coming from?, price range?, how many?, and would Destin work for you?
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your qns

Arriving in Sanford from the UK, on a 2 week fly-drive

just two of us - husband & I (mid 30s)

not sure what is a realistic price? Want somewhere pleasant but not hugely expensive!

Plan to visit Miami, keys and Orlando in final week. Does this rule Destin out?
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. Sanford near Orlando I assume? Destin would be out of the way what with your choice of destinations. If it should be gulf coast the area from Clearwater to Sarasota to Naples would be a good choice. Some come to mind: Indian Rocks Beach, Venice, Boca Grande and Naples. Maybe from Naples across alligator alley and the everglades to Miami to Key West. The return trip could be up the east coast. Are you driving to all destinations? What are your main interests/attractions about Florida? Lots of open road and hot/humid that time of year/area in Florida. For rentals use say google and type beach rentals southwest coast florida.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Naples is pretty dull like most of the West Coast. Clearwater Beach might suit you okay.Try www.vrbo.com for rentals.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM
LN

I've sent friends to Silverresorts.com to look at Silver Sands on Longboat Key Florida. It's a barrier island right next to Sarasota. Silver Sands is right on one of the loveliest beaches around. It's not a high dollar resort, just a nice, comfortable condo motel. Hope you like it.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Try this site:
www.siestakeychamber.com
I'm partial to our little paradise, since I live here, but I believe you will like it here.
Have a great trip!
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:35 AM
OliveOyl

Yikes! LOL To each their own! It's Clearwater Beach that is dull IMHO, and I live in the area. Give me Naples ANY day! It has a pretty beach, very good restaurants, and once away from the beach, the town is beautiful, whereas CWB (the town) is anything but that. Now it's got a terrific beach, but, IMHO, that's about it.

Naples is "up market", it has resorts and it has the best shopping on FL's west coast.

Sarasota would be a good choice as well, and although their shopping is decent, it can't hold a candle to Naples. Sarasota is "up market" as well. Not so for CWB.

I don't know much about Sanford other than that's where you get the Amtrak auto train. Is that how you are getting to FL?

Old May 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the responses

OliveOyl - we are flying itn Sanford from the UK.

Thanks for all helpful suggestions. Don't know if I will have the time to do the research to make an informed choice. As we don't know the area would it be ok to find places to stay when we ger there, then we can go/do whatever we fancy? Or is this a bad idea???
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Just one suggestion. The following weekend is our Independence day holiday, with the actual 4th falling on Friday, so sometimes it may be difficult to find a place right on the beach for that weekend. In Sarasota, we have the Boat Races, with parades, outdoor concerts, fireworks display in Sarasota as well as here on Siesta Key beach, and the races on Saturday with the finals on Sunday. It's a very popular beach activity, (I don't know why really, as you can't hardly see the boats going 100 mph about a mile out), but that's the way it is. IT's a great time for everybody, but it does get little crowded.
Have a great trip!
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM
OliveOyl

Flying into Sanford, especially from the UK? I didn't even know Sanford had an airport...they are so close to Orlando. Well, you'll be centrally located to head in any direction. That's good.

AAFrequentFlyer has a good point about the time period surrounding the 4th of July. Things can book, because it will be a 3 day holiday anyway this year. You can always find places in the off season, the question would be about the quality. I fully understand what you mean though...hard to know how many days to spend any one place. Perhaps it's best to try and settle on something for that weekend anyway, and be loose the rest of the time. Summer is certainly our "off-season".

AAFrequentFlyer, we've been invited to the races a few years running...each time going out with someone out of the Hyatt to watch close up, but even then you are still a distance. Our last trip, on a good sized boat, we anchored to watch the race and one by one, everyone started getting sick. It was almost comical, though of course you felt so badly for them...but you'd be talking with someone then their eyes would get "that look", and they'd dash past you for the rail. Finally, my family and maybe one or two others were the only ones left standing, so the Cap't decided to bring her into a sheltered cove. No point staying out with a boat full of sick, miserable people. Once in it was like a miracle cure...everyone happy again and eating and drinking! LOL Odd thing was, it wasn't even particularly rough. After that episode, we've decided against going. Actually, I thought they were discontinuing them last year?? It was kind of a hoot watching the goings on around the hotel, where they all seemed to be based. My goodness the quantities of silicone there, but then any sailor knows it's silcone that holds most boats together. gt;

Old May 8th, 2003, 12:25 PM

OO,
Yes, the races are on, here is the website, with all the activities listed. It will start on June 28, and finish off on July 6. The major stuff happens towards the end of the week.
http://www.suncoastoffshore.org
I'm lucky enough to watch the races from a penthouse suite(24 floor) right here on Siesta, which has balconies facing west and south. One of my friends owns it, and he throws an annual bash on the race Sunday. Even with all the binoculars it's still not a spectator sport IMHO. Anyway, it's fun just to hang out and not having to deal with the crowds on the beaches. The best part it's only a block away from my place, so I don't have to worry about having one too many.