East coast road trip suggestions??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, 4 of us Seniors are planning a road trip from Michigan to Stowe,VT. then to DixvilleNotch,New Hampshire then to Portland,Maine then to Boston,Massachusetts then to Niagara Falls (Canada side) then finally back to Michigan. We're just looking for must see things in each area and are only looking for a quick in and out of the areas. We know a day or two isn't really enough in each area but that's what we have and will see what we can. I appreciate any input or suggestions for this road trip and we'll do the best with the allotted time. Thanks
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 09:19 AM
J62

When is this trip? If it is leaf peeping season, roughly Oct 1 to 15 (or earlier) then nailing down accommodations is job #1. There are other posters here on fodors who are more familiar with VT and NH than I. Our NH expert is usually online a oh-dark-thirty each morning....

From MI you'll be coming through NY on I-90, then headed north on I-87 to get to Stowe. If you decide you want to stop over in the NY area north of Albany, I can give you tips there but since your're headed to Stowe VT I think you'd want to zip right through which is fine too.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 09:48 AM

In Boston walk the 2.5-mile Freedom Trail to see Revolutionary War sites; explore the 1634 Boston Common and Public Garden; drink Samuel Adams beer in the 1780 Warren Tavern or 1795 Bell in Hand Tavern where American Revolutionaries such Paul Revere and George Washington frequented; explore Beacon Hill which is one of the oldest and most picturesque neighborhoods in the United States; visit the 1723 Old North Church, significant for its role in the American Revolution. Visit the Old Corner Bookstore, Fanevil Hall, Paul Revere House, Boston National Historic Park and Longfellow House.
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 02:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
HI randypage and welcome to the Fodor's forums!

So this is 4 people all in the same vehicle doing a round trip from Michigan thru New England back to Michigan? It is just such a big question. You could spend a month each in Vermont or New Hampshire or Maine or upstate New York state and not scratch the surface, but understand you are doing a drive-thru.

How many days total do you have? For that amount of miles. What kind of vehicle? What type of places do you want to stay? Like camping, or cabins, or motels, or inns and lodges, B&Bs, more high end resorts, beach or lake front rooms? I know you say a "quick in and out" but what are you hoping to see in those short visits? Like a short hike, swim in a lake, antique stores, eat lobster on a beach, scenic outlooks, etc. etc. You can find historic tours and museums. Short hikes. Boating on lakes.

Last edited by suze; Aug 18th, 2023 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll give you my idea to save a lot of driving across Indiana, Ohio, Erie county PA and a lot of upstate New York. The Amtrak Lake Shore Limited leaves South Bend Indiana shortly before midnight every night. Take it to Syracuse New York arriving before noon. Rent a car in Syracuse after lunch and head east. Spend the night in Vermont. Cover the things you want to see in New England including Boston. Return the car to Syracuse and then get on the daily Amtrak Maple Leaf arriving in Niagara Falls Ontario before 5PM. Spend a night in Canada and see the falls at night. Take the eastbound Maple Leaf from Niagara Falls to Rochester New York. Spend an afternoon/evening in Rochester before getting on the westbound Lake Shore Limited about 11:20PM. You should be back in South Bend before 10AM the next morning.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 01:02 AM

Why Stowe amd why Dixville Notch. I've only been to Dixville Notxh once. It was fun but it was by snowmobile.
Time of year is important to know as well as answers to Suze's questions.
In NH, instead of remote Dixville Notch I would suggest Squam Lakes Science Center which is a mostly outdoor walk to see wild animals in their native habitat. Also fun to go indoors for a meet and greet with a wild animal. The presentation we saw was an Eastern Coyote. You can also give the driver a break and take a nature cruise via pontoon boat on the lake where On Golden Pond was filmed. There's some upscale lodging in Meredith on Lake Winnipeasaukee nearby. Eat at Hart's Turkey Farm.

continue east toward Portland. You can either head a bit north to take the famous Kancamagus thru the mountains or continue around the lake. I prefer the southern route thru Center Sandwich and Tamworth. Note when Center Sandwich was settled and figure out what people were doing there so early in US history.

Portland gives you the opportunity for another boat ride around Casco Bay onmthe mail boat. Get up early so you can be back fo lunch. Or to could opt for the evening cruise. If you just want to enjoy the scenery for free, head to Fort WIlliams Park. There's a great view of the bay. Best if you have brought bag chairs. Another view area is a bit more industrial but interesting from the Eastern Promenade.

Time of your visit is important since I think exeriencing something makes a trip more interesting. In summer there are free band concerts, classic car shows, farmers markets, etc. and surely you would like to do something between Portland and Boston.

byw Boston has some of the best food tours we've been on.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 06:52 AM

I agree with others that the time of year really makes a difference for recommendations.
And what do you like to do? Hike? See historic sites?

I live in north central VT. As I am sure you know, there was terrible flood damage in some areas in July. Stowe should be fine but many stores, restaurants and sites in nearby MOntpelier are still closed. You will probably come through the Burlington area on your way to Stowe and it was virtually untouched.
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by randypape1228
Hello, 4 of us Seniors are planning a road trip from Michigan to Stowe,VT. then to DixvilleNotch,New Hampshire then to Portland,Maine then to Boston,Massachusetts then to Niagara Falls (Canada side) then finally back to Michigan. We're just looking for must see things in each area and are only looking for a quick in and out of the areas. We know a day or two isn't really enough in each area but that's what we have and will see what we can. I appreciate any input or suggestions for this road trip and we'll do the best with the allotted time. Thanks
From Boston to Niagara Falls stop by Old Sturbridge Village.

Old Sep 10th, 2023, 06:25 AM

As an update to my earlier post about the July flooding in VT, here is a link to current tourist information about the Montpelier area.
https://montpelieralive.com/flood-20...cid=8be9792db9