East Coast Auto trip with two small dogs.

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Coast Auto trip with two small dogs.

I am retiring from teaching in June and my husband and I are beginning to plan an auto trip from Michigan up the east coast, into Maine, Mass, etc. We don't want to have to plan for every minute, but do have two small yorkies. Does anyone out there have some tips on lodging etc, absolute must-sees? Hoping to leave around labor day, when everyone else is back in school!
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:37 PM

Go to epinions.com and you'll see on the lefthand side a section for travel and destinations. It will then have you choose the state. It will give you opinions and reviews of different places. We use this website often and it is very helpful.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..will do.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:53 AM

Sounds like a fun trip - I am just curious - what do you do with the dogs during the day when you go places or in the evening when you go out to dinner? Have never traveled with any of our pets, and wondered what people do with them when they go places to which animals can not go.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:38 PM

i'm from michigan and have been thinking about a trip to maine with jasper the terrier in the fall if utah doesn't beckon us again.

he has taken me to the southwest for 3 years. i tie him in the back of my highlander with seats down. we stop for gas, treats, potty, walk, every so often. he never sleeps, watches the road all the time - must be my driving. at night, i get a takeout, have a picnic, or leave mr. j. in car for dinner. we usually don't go where pets aren't welcome. we meet lots of interesting people. on the road with my pal, life is good.

i make reservations before trip using petswelcome.com and stay in motels that do not have pet deposits. this has worked out well.

it's nice to travel in fall when the weather is cooler for mr. pet.

lots of info on maine, etc. on fodor's posts. would love a travel report when you return.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Funny,,,we have a Highlander also. Thanks for your help...I'm sure we can do it and do it well, with help from folks like you! I will let you know how it goes! Still seeking advice!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM

Chain Hotels that accept Pets are La Quinta-- I use them all the time when I travel with my dog...

IF it is summer, you cannot leave the dog in the car as it gets way too hot--and dog will expire...