Easiest way to get into NYC (Times Square) - Which side of island to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at hotels and am wondering which side of NY is best to stay on in regards to traffic. I have a hotel near Lincoln Tunnel, LGA airport, and south of the attractions (Prospect Park). I only ask because I hear NYC is horrible, so which would be the easiest and cheapest (taxi) to get from hotel to Times Square, 30 rock, etc?
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 07:56 AM

No one location will have the least traffic and cheapest taxi fares to the various tourist sights. And Manhattan is several miles long, so it east side/west side is too general to determine anything.

And why taxis? Why no subways? They get you most places quickly and cheaply.

Are those location you mention areas you're considering? None are all that convenient, and near the Lincoln Tunnel doesn't sound appealing at all. Prospect Park is in Brooklyn, and may be a little better both in surroundings and convenience (depends on exact hotel and location). There are some locations in Queens near subway lines that do have reasonably priced hotels that are decent. Are you looking within a budget?

If you can provide dates and budget, people here can probably give you some good advice.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank, here's some more info:

Trip days will be 12/28 - 1/3. Going to see the Ball drop! and maybe catch Letterman or Fallon if I'm lucky.
Coming from Houston, completely forgot about public transit, that idea does sound better then taxis.
The areas I mentioned are from my quick Expedia search, anything is a go. Just don't want to spend too much time in taxis or subways getting to my destination.
Budget? - Sort of. The areas I mentioned are (hotel+flight) in the $1700 ~ 1900's. I would spend more to stay closer to the attractions
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:36 AM

That is the worst week for traffic in NYC. No kidding. They actually change the stops on the Fifth Ave bus because of the traffic at Rock Center.

You must use public transportation, especially the subways. I am not sure what you are going to see at Prospect Park in Dec./Jan. Do you mean Central Park?

Also if Letterman or Fallon are taping at all, you would need to secure tickets now.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM

That's a tight budget for 6 night even if airfare wasn't included. NYE is a very busy time. That's why expedia came up with these 'out-of-the-way' places. Check out hotels in Long Island City, Queens. I think there's a Country Suites there and a few others. That area is more convenient to Midtown Manhattan (by subway) than anywhere in Brooklyn (which is more convenient to lower manhattan). NJ, close to a path station may also be OK. Near LaGuardia airport is not good at all. I doubt you'd find anything, anywhere near Times Sq within your budget.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Just be clear, ideally you want to stay in MANHATTAN (not at all near Prospect Park in Brooklyn) or near the Lincoln Tunnel (which is likely in NJ). Regardless, you do NOT want to stay in a hotel near LGA, where there is absolutely no convenient public transit whatsoever. Basically, all your initial choices are horrible.

If you really can't afford Manhattan (possible), then look at hotels in Long Island City in Queens. Most of these hotels are convenient to the subway and just a couple of stops from Manhattan. You'll want to be close to Manhattan to get back after the ball drop. There are some hotels in Brooklyn, but you want to be in Downtown Brooklyn, not in Prospect Park South. Nothing out there is in any way convenient to anything you'll want to see.

Otherwise, as long as you are in Manhattan, it doesn't much matter where you stay, though some areas are certainly more convenient than others.

But during that time of the year, it's highly unlikely that you'll find a hotel much under $300 per night in Manhattan.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips. Guess I'll have to increase my budget. and from what y'all said, Think I'll be staying on Manhattan. and yup, working on getting Letterman and/or Fallon tix.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM

If you can find something in midtown east or west you can walk to times Square Rock Center and many othr sights - and be a quick subway hop to sights that are up or downtown. Is this for 1 person or 2 (hope its not more or you wil have to up your budget again - since most hotel rooms n NYC have 1 duoble or queen bed). Be prepared for hotels near Times Saure to ber VERY expensive for New Year;s Eve. (If it were me I would look at the upper west side - still walkable to times squre for a new yorker unless the wether turns rally bitter - and about 10 minutes by subway.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Put your dates in Kayak.com, and filter to withing 2 miles (20 city N/S blocks = 1 mile) of Times Square and < $250. There are a few places with decent reviews that show up. Keep in mind that the prices shown are before taxes. I did notice though that it lists some low prices for various Marriott chain hotels, but if you click to book, a completely different, and much higher price shows up.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM

For pleasant hotels at a rate around $300 per night check out out the upper west side: On the Ave, Lucerne, Excelsior, Beacon, etc. But do look and book quickly - since rooms at those rates are limited.

You can easily walk to times Square - only about 1.5 miles - or just hop on the subway or a downtown bus. This area is actually much more pleasant, has a ton of good inex[pensive/moderate restaurants at decent prices (Times Square has some good places at very high prices, a few decent plaaes and a ton of of chain places with the sam awful food as at the lcoal mall but at twice the pice.)

(Most of the hotels right near Times Square have uber high rates - like double for the nights of 10/31 and some 10./30.)
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Does Letterman tape that week?
http://www.nycgo.com/articles/tv-show-tapings
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:29 AM

It's quite likely that very few shows are taping that week. Most take the week off except for the shows that don't do repeats then.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:34 AM

That's what I'm thinking. I've been there many times that week and can't think of a show that's taping that week. I figured the locals knew for sure.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 06:09 AM

I do not think NY'ers would know more than anyone else when Letterman was taping, unless someone is in a theatrical trade union.

63% of people who attend Broadway shows are from out-of-town and I would bet Letterman would be at least that if not more.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Hmmm... that's interesting.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 06:45 AM

For Letterman info: http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_s...kets/index.php

The only time I saw a Letterman taping was when they actually approached our office, looking for a certain demographic and offered us 10 tickets if we could meet their requirements (I think equal M/F, between certain ages kind of thing).
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM

MFNYC, you are correct about them seeking a certain demographic. I was in Times Square one day and saw a guy giving young couples and groups tickets for David Letterman. I had nothing to do that afternoon and approached the guy (I'm a gray haired guy in my 60's). Unlike the others where he asked the people "who is the host of the David Letterman show" to which they replied "David Letterman" and he gave them tickets, the guy asked me a question -- "who is the leader of the band on the David Letterman show?" I replied "Paul Shaffer" and the guy was surprised, so he then asked me a second question -- the name of the drummer. I couldn't reply so he said "sorry, I can't give you the tickets." You might call this age discrimination -- but they clearly want a "young" audience.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Neo

You should have asked the guy who was Ed Sullivan?
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM

^lol
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM

I suppose he would have answered "the guy who built the theatre where the David Letterman show is taped."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -