Early May 2023 hike to Pikes Peak CO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2023, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am planning a two day hike to Pikes Peak with a group of friends in early May (6-7). My plan is to arrive into Denver, CO on May 4th night and drive next day to Breckenridge CO and from there to Colorado Springs on 5th. Start hiking on 6th-7th. Start driving back to Denver, CO on 8th morning. Basically i want to drive in a loop and cover few places along the way. Is this my driving in a loop is good idea and what best scenic route to take. I am thinking for I-70 to rt9/rt24 to Colorado springs, and then 25 N to back to Denver, CO to fly back on 8th May. Please let me know your thoughts on the drive as well as the Pikes Peak hike.. I only drove on I-70 towards Glenwood springs once before during a night time. Wanted to know in early May how the roads will be like any snow/ice? i need to concerned about. Appreciate your input.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 11:27 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume you're experienced hikers and have no issues with altitude? It’s a serious slog - a13.5-mile uphill climb with an elevation gain of 7,400+ feet. Not for the inexperienced.

Details here:
https://www.pikes-peak.com/hiking-pikes-peak-mountain/

I live in the area and I can only guess at what the weather will be like in early May - you should expect anything, including adverse weather that could prevent your hike. As an example, we were caught in a terrible spring storm on May 11 a few years ago while crossing Rabbit Ears Pass. It was seriously nasty.

You'll want to be prepared for any kind of weather.

Taking State Highway 9 from Breckenridge will take you over 11,542 foot high Hoosier Pass - a very pretty drive. Once you join 24, things get easier, weather providing. The stretch of 24 between Hartsel and Wilkerson Pass is mostly flat, but the highway is subject to blowing snow during storms.

You'll pass right by the turn off to Pikes Peak while driving east on 24 to Colorado Springs - you might consider staying closer to the peak, such as basing in Woodland Park, Green Mountain Falls or Manitou Springs - sounds like you just need a place to stay for that night before your hike?

Returning via I25 makes the most sense as you'll want to be on that side to reach the Denver airport, but I25 can be a mess these days, so be sure to allow yourself plenty of time.

Last edited by Melnq8; Apr 6th, 2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your inputs. We are doing a two day hike going up, stopping at Barr Camp. coming back we will be taking the cog train.