Search

E train from JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E train from JFK

So far I know to take the AirTrain from JFK to the Jamaica station. Then board the E Train to Manhattan. I am staying at Staybridge Suites on 40th St next to Port Authority. What the name of the stop I need to get off at for this hotel?

In addition, I will have one piece of luggage on wheels and a backpack and will be on the train around noon on a Monday in July. Is the train normally packed at that time of the day leaving Jamaica Station.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM

The stop is 42nd Street/Port Authority. It is a major station. There will be many more people scurrying around the station than there will be on the E at noon on a Monday.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:19 AM

The train will not be packed at that time - and based on where you are getting on you shuold even get a seat. But - do NOT take your hands off you luggage at any point. (
A couple of weeks ago I saw a bag abandonned at the end of a car - and a passenger rushing to get out the door as it closed - apparently to catch up with whoever took their abandonned bag.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Just did this trip (but got off the E earlier than you will) on a Friday evening at 6:30pm - very easy and I had a small suitcase and a tote bag. No issues.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM

You might also consider taking the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station, which is about 6 blocks from the hotel. It will cut your travel time in about half, but it will cost you about $8 more. Those trains will be off-peak and should not be packed midday on a weekday in July, and it's a much more comfortable ride. (And it's a decision you can make at the last minute ... if you find that a train is coming soon, you can just buy a ticket and hop on. Just buy the ticket from the machines that you'll find immediately outside the Airtrain terminal BEFORE you board the train; otherwise, the penalty for buying on board doubles the price. If you find that a LIRR train isn't coming soon, then walk on into the station and go downstairs for the E train.