Dupont Circle dirt

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Jocelyn

Dupont Circle dirt

I am moving to DC very soon and I only know a little bit about the city. I will be living near Dupont Circle, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me their opinion of the area. What kind of neighborhood is it? Do you have any recommendations for restaurants/bars/shops in the area?
I would also like to know more about Addams Morgan. Is this considered the more "bohemian" section of DC?
I am sorry this is so vague, but I am just curious about what you think about living in DC.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 07:17 PM
wendy

Dupont Circle is okay to live if you wanna drop $1200/month on a 500sq ft. apt. Do you already have a place to live? It's an election year, you know, so housing is scarce and expensive. I just moved here, and after calling apts every day for six weeks, I found a place in Arlington. Not ideal, but clean and safe. DC isn't a city where you just rent a place over the phone and show up - it can be dicey from one block to the next.

Adams Morgan is okay, the main street there is Colombia, once you're off that main street, it can be a bit sketchy. But on Colombia are clubs, bars, shops and lots of ethnic restaurants.

Good luck.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Annie

Dupont Circle is a great neighborhood. Try Kramer Books & Aferwords (the ORIGINAL bookstore/restaurant); Second Story Books (great used bookstore); the Lucky Bar (Thursdays are $1 bud night--ask for Brendan at the bar!); Timberlake is a good place for a burger; the Front Page (bar); and tons of other places I can't begin to list. It's a lively neighborhood, and lots of stuff going on.

Adams Morgan has become THE neighborhood in D.C. The mix of ethnic restaurants, bars and clubs is incredible. However, I wouldn't rent an apartment there unless you were familiar with the neighborhood, because some areas are a lot safer than others.

Enjoy yourself, and don't let Wendy rain on your parade. That said, I happen to live in Arlington (because I also work in Virginia), which I love, but it's become as expensive as D.C.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Brian in Atlanta

$1,200 for a small apartment? I thought Dupont Circle was pricier than that . . .

Jocelyn, search for "tackled" to pull up our trip report for observations on Dupont and Adam's Morgan and restaurant reviews.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Dawn

Dupont Circle is known as the "gay" area of DC. You will see alot of gay couples, and a few gay shops. There are some great restaurants in and right around the area. I would say that both areas are a bit bohemian, with Adams Morgan being a bit more ethnic.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:40 AM
lisa

Hi Jocelyn. I live in Dupont Circle. I absolutely love it. It's a fun neighborhood, mixed gay/straight, lots of restaurants & art galleries. Yes it can be very expensive but to me it is worth it because I don't need a car since the metro is right there. Kramerbooks & Afterwords, mentioned earlier, is a great little bookstore/restaurant that is very popular for weekend brunch and is also just fun to browse in -- they have live music some nights, and the best desserts in the area. My favorite restaurants are Pizzeria Paradiso on P St., Lauriol Plaza on 18th St., Cashion's Eat Place on Columbia Rd. in Adams Morgan, and Lebanese Taverna on Connecticut Ave. in Woodley Park (one metro stop north of Dupont). Also, Cafe Luna on P & 17th for breakfast or an inexpensive pasta dinner, City Lights on Connecticut for Chinese. If you do a search of old DC threads using the word "restaurant" you will find lots more recommendations. Yes, Adams Morgan is a little funkier and has more ethnic diversity and rents are a little lower, but it is farther from the metro.
Re: rents, it sounds like you already have a place to live since you said you'll be near Dupont Circle, so you probably already know what things cost. But to answer the earlier posts, when I moved here in '94, I paid $645 per month for a tiny basement studio, but it was very nice -- fireplace, washer-dryer, hardwood floors, full kitchen with all the appliances (small), no parking -- and the location was great, right on P St. between 17th & 18th. Now I think the same unit goes for around $900. Even now that rents have gone up, you can definitely find nice one-bedrooms for $1200 per month.