Reload this Page >

Dinner in Seattle. Best Crab?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 07:05 PM
BillJ

During a business conference, my wife and I will have one, maybe two chances for dining on our own. We will be "downtown", (Four Seasons). We love crab, salmon, halibut. Can pass on the oysters, squid, thanks, no offense
I betcha some of you have some great recommendations. I have the Fodor list, but would sure welcome some suggestions. Some one has recommended The Flying Fish. Any others?

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 07:40 PM
John

BillJ, if you want consensus, good luck!

In the downtown area, Anthony's Pier 66 and Bell Street Diner (on the central waterfront - guess which pier) is very good but can be a bit of a factory sometimes. You know about the Flying Fish already. McCormick's Fish House, near the hotel, and Elliott's on the central waterfront can also be good.

A taxi ride away, but worth it, are a couple of alternatives. Ray's Boathouse at Shilshoe Bay, about a 10-15 min. cab ride from the Olympic Hotel (the city's name for the Four Seasons) is great, especially the upstairs room at sunset. (What time of year?) Other cab-ride-restaurants with fair to excellent food but great locations are Palisade at the foot of Magnolia bluff, with a view of the Seattle skyline over the masts of, say, a zillion dollars worth of moored yachts, or Chinook's, at Fishermen's Terminal, where the real north Pacific fishing fleet is moored, (Chinook's can be a bit noisy and frenzied, more a family place than romantic, but also a great breakfast place), or (best view of all but food least predictable) Salty's on Alki, directly across Elliott Bay from downtown Seattle - the view is something special.

Too bad you don't like oysters. Shucker's, right in the Olympic Hotel, is really good.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 09:45 AM
Hans

Anthony's Homefront in Kirkland has all you can eat Dungeness crab on Sunday nights. It's simple; in the shell and steamed or chilled but pretty darned tasty.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 11:23 AM
kam

We had a lovely dinner at Etta's Seafood near the Pike Market. Anthony's is a pretty big touristy place. Another one like it is Ivar's Acres of Clams and while I wouldn't go for a great dinner, we thought their clam chowder was the best we tasted in Seattle (and we sampled them all!) Enjoy.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 06:14 AM
G. Kremer

Iver's or Crab Pot near Elliott Bay.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 11:49 AM
JB

Hi Bill,

Slightly off the original post, but if you're looking for the best crabCAKES, my husband and I had some fantastic ones at the Dahlia Lounge - also good cocktails, and delicious coconut pie.

Best,
JB

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Teres

Second vote for the Crab Pot. Roll-up-your sleeves, throw-the-shells down-on-a-newspaper, good old seafood. Some will argue it's touristy but the food was delicious. Would go back there again in a minute.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Chris

Visited Seattle in Feb. Weather was outstanding. I will swear by the Dungeoness from Iver's, but also the steelhead and other delectibles from Cutter's Bayhouse at the opposite end of the Pike Street Market.