Dune buggies to see wild horse's ? OBX help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've rented a house in Nags Head for a multi-generational family reunion in July. We would really appreciate any information on some things we would like to do.

Are there really any wild horses to see when you go on the guided jeep tours / is this worth the money?

Where is the best area to go "off roading" on the beach? Where should we rent from?

Any advice on golf courses?
We are planning on bringing or renting bikes for the week. Are bike paths accessable from Nags Head or do we need to drive somewhere? Where can I get information on bike paths.
Thanks
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone give me any advice on OBX things to do ???
Please help.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM

Wish I could help but all I can say is that I remember when there were only dunes and ponies in Corolla (and I'm 39 and remember them from high school). You can see ponies in Ocracoke - but that is about 90 min south from the northern beaches. Sorry I could not help.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:22 PM

Me again - check out the local chamber of commerce. I know there are bike lanes in Nags Head, but not sure about Duck and above. Manteo is a great little town that you can visit. Can't comment on golf, but there are courses. As to driving on the beach, lots of people do it down at the Oregon Inlet area so ask about that. Pea Island refuge is spectacular. Have a great vacation.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
emd

The wild horses are best left alone now, and no, you can't count on seeing them on the tours.

The only place to drive on the beach that I know of is to drive up route 158 from Nags head and catch two lane route 12, drive all the way up through Corolla until you get to the end of the road. Then you can drive on the beach in a 4 wheel drive vehicle up in Carova. But you won't be "off roading" anywhere except right on the beach. NO dune buggies, NO riding in the precious small dunes that are anywhere in the Outer Banks.

You rented in Nags Head and you don't know that in Nags Head there is a multi-mile bike path that runs right behind the oceanfront houses?

I do not mean to sound harsh but honestly it sounds to me like you need to do some basic online reaserch on the area in which you have chosen to have a very big family reunion. Ask your realtor for some info also.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
emd

here's a start- and easy google search:

http://www.outerbanks.org/activities...outerbanks.asp

good luck.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

We have vacationed in the Outer Banks several times, and on our most recent trip took our 4 wheel drive vehicle on the beach north of Corolla. We had a blast. There are cut throughs throught the dunes which take you to the other side of them (there are even a few houses back there!) and we saw several wild horses. My kids LOVED it. We then spent a few hours on the beach, which was even les crowded than in Nags Head when we were there. For things to do- kayak trips in the sound, hike up Jockeys Ridge sand dune,fly kites, let the little ones roll down the dune... chill out, swim, sunbathe, read a book, boogie board, go crabbing, relax, rent jet skis, take a dolphin boat tour (we did that twice and saw dolphins both times). It's VERY laid back. Take the ferry over to Ocracoake. Visit Manteo -the Elizabethan gardens, the replica ship (forget the name). Buy a book called the Insiders Guide to the Outer Banks. It's great. In fact if you google it, I think you can pull some of it up on line, too.