Search

Southern Shores NC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Shores NC

Can anyone give me info on the Southern Shores area of NC. Looking at renting a house there. We are interested in nice beach, like to walk a lot. Golfing, maybe some sight seeing. What is close what is not. Is it a good area for 4 adults, 2-24 year olds, 3 19 year olds, 1 14 year old. Would like all to be happy
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM

A trip to the Outer Banks is always a treat. You may want to consider renting in Nags Head versus Southern Shores as it will be a lot closer to the activities that the children are looking for. We stayed in the Southern Shores area a few years ago and found that we spent a great deal of time driving up and down the coast road (which can be very congested). By staying in Nags Head or South Nags Head you will be out of the crush of activity/people, but still close enough to not get tired of driving.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Would there be golf coures close to Southern Shores? What type of distance are you talking about in driving to activities? Found a really nice place and just want to weigh all my options. Have traveled all over the world, but never the OuterBanks. Thanks for your help
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM

My family's beach house was in Southern Shores and now we have a house in South Nags Head. We have two teenage girls.
It really depends on when you go in August (later is better than earlier) for traffic up and down the beach. Most families I know generally spend time at their house and on the beach.

Depending on where you are in Southern Shores and all of South Nags Head are a quiet getaway from the busy area in between. From Southern Shore, the girls love shopping in Duck, lots of shops within a mile. There is a nice bike path from Southern Shores to Duck, so no need to drive there.
If the house is across the beach road (they have a map on the website), you may have to cross a very busy road that funnels all traffic into Duck/ Corolla. There are also watersports on the sound in Duck.

The two highest rated restaurants on the beach are in Duck (Blue Point Cafe) and Southern Shores (Meridian ?). The Blue Point requires reservations way in advance.

We don't play golf, but I think that Kilmarnic and The Point are considered the best in the area. They are right over the bridge to the mainland. Also Duck Woods CC is in Southern Shores- very scenic.

There is mini golf, go carts, movies, and lots of shopping in between Southern Shores and South Nags Head (Mile Post 1 through 16). www.outerbanks.org is a great source for all activities.

Other fun family activities are The Lost Colony play, driving to Ocracoke (spectacular deserted beaches)and Hatteras, and Jockey's Ridge.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you might be happier in Nags Head or Duck. The 24-year olds especially would find more to do in the Nags Head area.

If the house is really great and a good price, then Southern Shores is close enough to everything that I'm sure it would be fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice.