Duluth to Thunder Bay

Search

Duluth to Thunder Bay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duluth to Thunder Bay

Will be leaving SOON --on Friday sept 23 to visit NE Minnesota.
Now I am having second thoughts on the itinerary which includes LOTS of driving.
9/23 St Louis to Eau Claire, Wi (8 1/2 hours)
9/24 Eau Claire to Thunder Bay, Canada. (6 1/2 hours)
9/25 Grand Marais--Naniboujou Lodge
9/26 Grand Marais --Best Western Plus
9/27
9/28 Silver Bay----americIInn
9/29
9/30 Duluth (staying with friends)
10/1 Head for home

QUESTION; AM I NUTS TO BE GOING ALL THE WAY TO THUNDER BAY? SHOULD I JUST GO AS FAR AS GRAND MARAIS. IS THE EXTRA DRIVING ETC. WORTH IT TO GO TO THUNDER BAY?
I know this is only your opinion, but please give advice?
Thanks so much.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 08:01 AM

What is the point of going to Thunder Bay? It's hard to answer if it's worth the drive without knowing why you had planned on going there. Thunder Bay is only 1.5 hours from Grand Marais so you are not adding very much drive time, especially compared to the rest of your trip. It's about 12 hours from St. Louis to Grand Marais, another 1.5 hours isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'm assuming this is a fall colors trip along the North Shore?

You have a couple extra nights in there - have you considered driving along the Gunflint Trail or going over to Ely?

If you end up going to Thunder Bay, I would visit Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. In Grand Portage, the state park and national monument are also worth some time.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MidwestHiker.
Basically going to Thunder Bay for Kakabeka Falls. ( yes, will take passports) Yes, this is a Fall Colors Trip.
I was planning on driving the Gunflint Trail while in Grand Marais. (thanks for "thumbs up" for that drive)
Question was mainly because the drive from Eau Claire to Thunder Bay seemed a bit long.
Planning on starting North and then working our way South to Duluth when doing the North Shore Drive.
Was planning on stopping at Grand Portage also.
Was just wondering if the trip was a bit "ambitious".
I am a senior and will be doing all of the driving.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 09:42 AM

I think the drive is a bit long for just one night. Like I said, I would also try to visit Sleeping Giant while in Thunder Bay - and Fort William Historical Park. I think driving all that way just for Kakabeka is too much but if you add in the other stops then it makes better use of your time.

What about this - drive to Thunder Bay on the 24th, visit Kakabeka Falls that same day. On the 25th, visit Sleeping Giant and/or Fort William, then drive to Grand Portage and stay overnight. 26th, visit the state park and national monument in Grand Portage and gradually make your way down to Grand Marais. That would mean you would have to switch your hotel reservations around but since those dates are weekdays, hopefully you would still find availability.

Below is a link to the state park and provincial park fall color page. Currently the parks along the north shore are well below peak color but that will change somewhat by early next week. Also, keep in mind the area right along Lake Superior peaks in color a few days to a week later than further inland, so the Gunflint Trail (or Ely) may have better color than right along the shore. If you look at the reports for Sleeping Giant vs. Kakabeka Falls, you'll notice that trend as Kakabeka is at 30% of peak color and Sleeping Giant is 10%. Granted, those reports are from this past weekend, but it illustrates my point about parks along Lake Superior taking longer to get to peak color.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fall_colors/index.html

https://www.ontarioparks.com/fallcolour
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM

I liked Thunder Bay... and the way that the north shore of Superior is rocky, while the south shore is sandy.

My most vivid impression of Thunder Bay was the "Hoito" Finnish restaurant... and I would happily drive up from Duluth just to go there again.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you BOTH for the imput and opinions. I will stay with the current schedule and be sure to include the highlights recommended. Visiting Kakabaka Falls in the PM of arrival day is a good idea.
Alto, thanks, NorthwestMale for recommending Hoito Restaurant. I
have noted the address so I can use my navigation system to find it easily.

MidwestHiker-thanks for the fall colors web sites. They are both very helpful, but, looks like we may be a bit early for "peak" but reservations are all set so we will enjoy whatever it is!