DT Memphis Hotel question

Feb 6th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

DT Memphis Hotel question

We'll be heading to Memphis in April and are going to use priceline for a hotel room. biddingfortravel is only showing 2 3* hotels in the dt area, the Marriott DT and the Radisson. Are either of these ok? Good location to Beale St?

Thanks!
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:06 AM

I've stayed at the Radisson several times and the location is great. It's right across the street from the Peabody Hotel, and the Peabody's got the best people-watching bar in the world! The rooms at the Radisson aren't anything spectacular, but the hotel is just fine. I'm having a hard time placing the Marriott; apparently it's connected to the convention center. If so, the Radisson is much closer to Beale Street - only a few blocks away.
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Marriott is on the north end of downtown...a long walk to Beale, but right on the trolley route, so very convenient to get anywhere downtown. The trolley runs to 1:00 a.m. and is less than $1/person, so works well after a Beale St. night! Not sure about the quality of the Marriot, but it looks nice from the outside and Marriot's are usually fine.
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I know there are lots of people who love the trolley but we had a scary incident while waiting on it one nite. The area was a little deserted and while waiting on the trolley we (my husband, sister and I) were rather aggressively approached for money. It wasn't late at all - as I recall earlier than 10 - but haven't considered the trolley since then.
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM

The Marriott is at the far north end of downtown Memphis. Hopefully you;ll get the Radisson.

Panhandling seems to be getting worse and worse in Memphis. I thought Portland Oregon was bad for cities of that size but last time I in Memphis I've never been bothered so many times. During our evening out drinking on Beale I was asked for money 6 times!
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I've stayed at the Marriott many times, thanks to priceline, and it's a fine hotel. The rooms are big, they're always clean, and we've never had any problems there. They have been adding on to the hotel, so the parking was valet-only the last time I stayed there. I'm not sure if that's still the case now. And, you do have to pay for parking. The trolley is easy to catch, but we actually took our car in and out as needed, since we could just call the valets to get it for us. As others have said, it would be a bit of a walk to Beale Street if you get this hotel.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:18 PM

The Radisson would be the best as far as location. It is centrally located to many things. Check out the Redbirds, if you like baseball...the stadium is only a block away. Peabody Place (shopping, dining, etc.) is only a block away. There are many great restaurants near the Radisson (Cafe Samovar-delicious, Texas de Brazil, Automatic Slims, Buckleys, Swaddii-Thai). I live in Memphis and work downtown...I've stayed at the Radisson and it is nice.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:57 PM

We're booked at the Radisson from April 6 to 9. Already purchased our tickets for the Redbirds on the 8th. Looking forward to Beale St. What other activities or restaurants do you recommend?
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM
MD4

Staying at the Radisson, you will be right across the street from the Rendezvous, a long-standing Memphis tradition for bbq. You will be next door to the Peabody hotel, also Memphis landmark, and visitors often line up to see the duck parade when they go to and from swimming in the fountain, I think at 11am and 5pm everyday.

The Gibson Guitar Museum (I think it is also a factory) and Lounge is a block past Beale. Have not visited the Museum, but the the Lounge is very cool.

I recommend a ride on the trolley- it will take you all around downtown for a nice overview. If you like art galleries/shops, the South end of Main is the budding arts area.

Other restaurants downtown: Automatic Slims (eclectic), Butcher Shop (steaks), the Pier (seafood), Cafe Samovar (Russian), Aristi's (South American), all are within walking distance of your hotel.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your trip!
Mar 4th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Great information, MD4. Thanks a lot.
Mar 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Also do check out web specials at the Peabody - they don't participate in Priceline. We stayed there after Thanksgiving and got upgraded to a suite for around $100. I filed a trip report about the Peabody (and other things) that you can find here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34460759
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Definitely make a trip to the Civil Rights Museum. You can take the trolley there from anywhere downtown. It's in the former hotel that was the sight of Martin Luther King's assassignation. The exterior is untouched from that time, but the interior has been gutted and filled with a fabulous museum. There are headphone self-guided tours and there is SO much to see there. If you have any interest at all in civil rights or American History...it's an excellent museum.

Definitely stop by the Peabody...go up to the roof for great views of the city, and watch the duck march from the second floor balcony--it's worth it just for the spectacle of hundreds of people scurrying for a glimse of a few marching ducks! Stay afterward for a drink in the lobby bar.

Have fun--Memphis is a great town!
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:29 AM
jasper

thumbs up on the radisson. a short 3 block or so walk to beale street. rooms and service were fine...eat at cliffs rendezvous for bbq. and of course, the peabody ducks next door are not to be missed.

Mar 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Do any of these hotels have pools? My husband said that he doesn't think there are pools for laying out in Memphis?
Mar 25th, 2004, 12:28 PM

I'm sure the Radisson doesn't have a pool and I don't think the Peabody does either, as its rooftop is the home of the ducks! I'm not sure about the other hotels downtown.
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

hmmmmm, Memphis will be hot! Do any of the hotels downtown have pools?
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Just got the Marriott on PL for $50 a night. Can't beat the price so we will deal with the long walk/trolley/etc. Thanks for everyone's input. Oh and the Marriott has an indoor pool. I wonder why no one seems to have out door pools?
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:28 AM
MD4

Just north of the Marriott is the Pinch District (you can easily walk there- literally a block or so) that offers a few restaurants/bar/grill places- High Point, the North End and TJ Mulligan's. Some or all should have live music on the weekends, possibly during the week too. Great places for lunch or late night, close to your hotel.
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Be sure to have the hot fudge pie at the North End. It's a real dive, but the pie is divine!

Search this Thread