dsquared and other central fl experts - help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dsquared -- you responded to my post several months ago about motels in central FL near Webber International University. Thank you!! We recently went for a visit, and did stay in Winter Haven, but not the Hampton Inn, which you recommended, as it was full. We stayed at the Best Western Admiral Inn, but the room wasn't very clean. We will try for the Hampton Inn on our next trip.
We are also considering hotels in Lake Buena Vista, as they seem to offer more for the price than in Lakeland or Winter Haven. How long will it generally take to get from hotels in Lake Buena Vista area to Lake Wales? Is the Lake Buena Vista area really congested? Is it overrun with kids? We are in our late 40's, and not interested in Disney or any theme/amusement parks. (Our son's football games will be played in Lake Wales.) We know that Lake Wales is about 20 minutes from the Hampton Inn in Winter Haven.
Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:16 PM

topping for the evening crew
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM

gracie, LBV is about 45 minutes to an hour from Winter Haven. It is in the heart of Disney tourism, which means lots of families and traffic, although I don't think the traffic is particularly bad (the International Drive area is generally considered to be worse). Once you get south of 192 on I-4, traffic thins out. In general, it is a nicer area than the 192/Kissimmee area (which really is overrun with kids and traffic).

Lakeland is around 20 miles away from Winter Haven. It's a much quieter area than LBV as it doesn't get much tourist traffic, and is a pleasant town.

Orlando Vic, (or any of our other Central Florida posters!) do you have any suggestions for gracie?

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Dsquared and Bayougirl -- thank you.
In researching for the last several weeks, it seems that lodging in Lakeland is more expensive than lodging in the LBV area. Do you have any idea why?
Gracie
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM

I haven't driven from Lake Buena Vista to Lake Wales but 45-50 minutes seems about right.

The Hampton Inn Orlando-Maingate South in Davenport is south of Disney World and located at I-4 (Exit 55) and Hwy. 27. It's probably about 35 minutes from Lake Wales. It has a 3-diamond AAA rating. This might be a possibility.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Orlando Vic.

I love this board!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:18 AM

I knew Orlando Vic would come through!

Gracie, LBV has rates lower than Lakeland due to competition. There are a LOT of hotel rooms in the LBV area at all prices points, so lots of competition keeps prices well...competitive. ;-)