Callaway Gardens resort opinions

Aug 29th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Callaway Gardens resort opinions

Anyone have opinions on staying several days at Callaway Gardens this fall? We will need to be in the Columbus GA area around Oct 1st, and we're looking for something other than the typical chain hotels. Callaway looks like it might fit, but it's somewhat pricey and I'd like to get a feeling of whether we would find it worthwhile before picking it.
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:09 AM

I don't know about staying there but I was just at Callaway Gardens in May and the gardens are a worthwhile visit. It's a pretty big place with not only the gardens but with bird shows and also golf.
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:22 AM

I have stayed there a number of times. I used to go every September for a retreat. The hotel is certainly nice enough but not anything exceptional. The restaurant is good if you like southern cooking. I would say the rooms are probably on a par with a Holiday Inn.

The setting, however, is very nice. It is in a woodsy area with walking trails. There is a shaded courtyard in the center of the main hotel area, with a fish pond, where you can have coffee in the morning or drinks in the evening. I always ask for a courtyard room. Unless they have made some changes recently, the rooms in the "annex" building are not as nice as the ones in the main hotel.

You might want to see if entry to the gardens is included with your stay. (It was for me.) Also remember, you are still a good way from Columbus-I am thinking maybe 45 minutes or so.

Bottom line. If I had to choose between a chain hotel and Callaway, I would choose Callaway, hands down.

Two of my favorite things in the garden are the raptor show and the Sibley Center. Also don't miss the butterfly house
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:36 AM

In fact, the hotel used to BE a Holiday Inn...way back in the dark ages (as my adult children would say). I haven't been there in years, but the surrounding grounds are worth the visit even if you choose to stay someplace else.
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Callaway is a unique place. Your should go- it's worthwhile. Keep in mind that you're paying for the Gardens, associated programs and events, etc., not the room. The hotel rooms are ordinary but perfectly fine. I actually prefer staying in Callaway's cottages. We had a 1 bedroom unit with a living room, kitchen and outdoor deck/patio area this summer when my husband had a conference there.

The food at Callaway is also adequate but not exceptional. There are some good restaurants inthe area, and when I can think of their names, I'll repost.
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Also, if you are staying in that away there is a really neat animal park near Calloway. You drive through the park and the animals come up to your car windows and you feed them. It was really fun. Then they have another little zoo area that you walk through. We don't have kids but I absolutely loved being able to see all the animals close up and personal.
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The responses were a big help in giving a feel for the pluses and minuses of the place. I'd been leaning towards the cottages, and it sounds like they are the better choice. The distance to Columbus is a factor, but I think we'll only be making 3 trips back and forth over 5 days.
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:56 AM

Instead of staying at the hotel in Callaway, try to rent one of their villas. They are much newer and nicer than the hotel. I thought the hotel looked rundown and really old. Another option is staying in Warm Springs.
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:11 AM

My parents took me to Callaway Gardens in the late '60s, when I was around 10. We stayed at the motel at Callaway Gardens. I thought it was a Ramada Inn or a Sheraton, but maybe it was a Holiday Inn. It was the first time I had ever seen a buffet, only then it was called a smorgasborg. (OK, I was from a small town.) I rode a horse and visited Warm Springs. At night, we saw a wonderful "play," sort of a vaudeville production. I still remember one of the lines "Shake, Jake!!" It was spoken to a sassy character and she would shimmy.
Good memories.
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM
Fairhope

Pine Mountain Ga next to Callaway has other accomodations

Sep 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM

F.D. Roosevelt State Park has cottages, too. Go to gastateparks.org. We have stayed in several state parks and love them all.