Search

Driving to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to NYC

I have taken a bus trip to NYC a couple times before. I am coming from the Washington DC area and I am looking into driving in my own vehicle up to NYC for the day. And ive been looking at driving into and parking in the city versus parking in NJ and taking a train or ferry over. Well, I think I found the best way to go. Has anybody used NJ Transit? After looking at the ferry and the PATH train, this looked even more convenient and faster. You take it from Secaucus Junction Station and it goes into New York's Penn Station and it says its about a 15 minute ride and looks like it runs almost every 15 minutes. This would also give me the freedom and luxury to arrive and depart NYC when I want. I am also coming on the weekend and there is a limited time offer that you can park for free there if your taking the train into Manhattan. I am planning on visiting Midtown Manhattan, so Penn Station would be a good starting point. Plus, it is more convenient than the ferry from Weehawken. The Weehawken Ferry drops you off at the shore of the Hudson River in Manhattan. At Penn Station, I would be in the heart of the city. Plus, the station for the NJ train is directly off the NJ Turnpike where 495 splits off to the Lincoln Tunnel. So, is this a find? Is this what I should do? In addition, I plan on taking the ferry to the Statue of Liberty sometime. Should I drive up and take the ferry from Liberty State Park or pick it up in Downtown Manhattan? I ve seen that area of Manhattan before.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM

"So, is this a find? Is this what I should do?"

It's a reasonable choice as you have surmised. For me, If I had driven all the way to Secaucus, I'd probably just drive all the way into Manhattan.

" In addition, I plan on taking the ferry to the Statue of Liberty sometime. Should I drive up and take the ferry from Liberty State Park or pick it up in Downtown Manhattan?"

No reason to go into Manhattan if there is nothing there you want to see. Much easier to stay in New Jersey for your visit to Liberty Island.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:18 PM

If you want to see the Statue of Liberty you need tickets which sell out well in advance. You will have a better chance of getting tickets if you leave form Liberty State Park.

But you really can;yt do this in a day. the ferry goes to SoL, then visit Sol, then ferry to Ellis island, then back where you started. With lines and security (like airline security) this will take at least 4 hours and much more if you want to see Ellis Island.

Driving up from DC or the day is a really long trip - with traffic or weather you will be on the road at lest 8 or 9 hours - so wiil have very little time in the city. I would do Amtrak, which is faster and lets you sleep - so getting a 6 am train isn't such a pain.

(And this is from someone who loves road trips - but I would never do less then 3 nights in DC - the drive just isn;t worth it.)
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
E_M

The Statue and Ellis Island is a day-long event, between viewing the exhibits, waiting in line, parking, etc. Liberty State Park is it's own exit off the Turnpike, so if you want to see the Statue and Ellis Island, I would just go there.

Also, the drive is really long...maybe not the basic 4 hour time but if you hit traffic over the DelMar or anywhere else it's a nightmare.

I've taken NJ Transit lots of times. Secaucus isn't the best area, so make sure you lock up.

What exactly are you trying to do on your trip?
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

These are two different trips im planning. One is a trip to spend a day in Midtown Manhattan and the other a trip to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. I have taken a day trip up there several times on a bus and it wasn't that bad. Just leave early in the AM and you get back late, but its doable, so i know what im in for. And I really don't want to drive in the city, so thats why I want to take public trans over from NJ.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I like the Weehawken ferry - parking is safe and secure, and a cross-town bus takes you right into midtown from the landing on the Manhattan side (around 40th St. I believe).
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM

I can't imagine driving to spend one day. At least you can sleep on the bus or train.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:55 AM
E_M

Well, I'm with NYTraveler. Your plan puts you on the road for 8-9 hours, so I don't see the point, but whatever. Don't forget to budget for tolls and weekend travel delays and make sure you bring a map because the Secaucus area can be very confusing. Take precautions so that you don't fall asleep and remember that NJ rest stops are filthy.

I'd still recommend the train or parking in MetroPark, as I have friends who park there overnight when they go to the city. And it's garage parking and seems safer to me than Secaucus. If you insist on going to Secaucus, I'd skip the city and go to the Yves St. Laurent outlet...
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

I think I might take the Path or Weehawken Ferry instead. Whats a good place to catch the PATH in NJ with all day parking?
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:10 AM

There is some bus that you can ride for as little as a dollar if you plan far enough ahead. I know someone will know what the name and info is.
I cannot believe it is cost effective to drive into NYC.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM

It's the bolt bus, a very good deal.Or take Amtrak. That said, don't park in NJ, you're adding an hour to your trip each way. Find a garage on the far west side and park your car for the day, you'll barely be driving in the city and you'll save a lot of time.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
The only problem with driving into NYC is I don't want to do valet parking. Is there any garage that is cheap that anyone reccomends that is a self park? The bolt bus leaves from Dc, I live halfway between DC and Baltimore, so I would have to drive into DC to catch it.
Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM

When are you going? And are you by any chance a student? Amtrak is running discounted fares for students with advance purchased tickets. I'd definitely check it out if you have a student ID. I know that Amtrak runs a regional train from Baltimore into Penn Station, so your town- or close to it- may be on the route which would save you a trip into D.C.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
E_M

You can't have cheap and fast. The Port Authority Bus Terminal used to have parking there, which is right by the Lincoln Tunnel. But daily rates were about $30. Again, when you add up parking and tolls, it can be more expensive than you think.

If you chose to take Amtrak, there are two stops between DC and Baltimore: New Carrolton and the BWI airport.

The cheapest way, by far, is the $1 Bolt bus. With the drive there, it will probably also be the longest.

The most expensive and easiest is the train, which is also the quickest.

In between are your ideas about driving into NJ, parking, and taking NJ Transit or PATH. This area can be really confusing and congested. It's not worth it, IMHO.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes I am. I have gone back to college. So I have a student ID. But, my travel partner dosent. From the sound of it, I think I will skip NJ Transit or the PATH. So, now I'm down to taking the Weehawken Ferry, driving into Manhatten and parking, taking a bus, or train. BWI Airport is the closest rail station to my house. I notice some parking places in NY you can make reservations, but again I don't want valet parking, I want to be able to walk to and from my car. That being said what is the best middle ground between fast and cheap. For two people, it looks like the ferry and parking In manhatten is about the same cost. So what would be faster on a Saturday or Sunday morning, the ferry or the lincoln tunnel?
Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM

In NYC there are practically no places where you can park the car yourself - except on the street. Both for insurance reasons - and since cars are parked nose to tail 3 or 4 deep - you have to leave your keys and allow them to move the car. Your best bet may be Weehawken - but do check how often the ferries run in the winter. I think they're fine now, but one winter they stopped for a couple of days since there was just too march ice floating in the river/harbor.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Im checking into Megabus or Boltbus, they look about 1/2 the price I paid before and look like nicer buses. And it would be cheaper than driving and paying tolls and gas. They both leave from Baltimore.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM

You don't have to go into DC to catch Bolt Bus. One departs from outside Penn Station in Baltimore. It takes 3hr & 45 min to reach Penn Station in NYC. I've taken it twice; around $15.00 (booked just a day before), clean, fast, efficient, quiet. There is parking near Penn Station in Baltimore if you drive there.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-
Thats what I think im going to do. Because Baltimore is closer to me than DC and why drive farther away from NYC to catch a bus. How much is the parking at Penn Station (Baltimore)? Is it a safe area?
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

In addition: Heres what im planning on doing:
If I take Bolt Bus, arrive Penn Station
Going up in the Empire State Building (plan on buying tickets ahead of time)
Subway to American Museum of Natural History (obviously cant see the whole museum, but plan to see highlights)
A couple sights in central park that I have not seen already (Belvedere Castle, the Obelisk, and maybe Bethesda Fountain as time allows)
Subway back to Penn Station to catch bus

I think I should be able to do this, especially buying tickets ahead of time for the Empire State Building as everyone says to do. Plus, the sites I want to see at Central Park are right near the American Museum of Natural History. Using my last trip up there as a gauge, my bus dropped me off at 51st and 8th and took the subway down to South Ferry and took the Staten Island Ferry. Then, visited wall street and the WTC site. Had a leisurely lunch around there. Then, took the subway into Brooklyn and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. Caught the subway again and took it to Grand Central Station and visited that. Then, walked to Top of the Rock and went up in that. Then, we walked to Central Park and walked a good ways through the park almost to the big reservoir. Then, took the subway back to Times Square and spent some time at a restaurant. Then, still had time to spare. This was all in a day trip from Maryland and was able to have a leisurely lunch and dinner with time to spare. Im not covering as nearly as much ground on this trip, although the things im going to do are going to take longer. And I was able to enjoy all of it and not feel rushed. That being said, how much time should I allow for this trip? Im trying to gauge what return bus to catch. Also, im planning on a day-trip to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. If I like the Bolt Bus, I might just take it up to NYC on a second trip and take the subway down to South Ferry and take the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park versus driving up to Liberty State Park on the NJ side. However, how much longer is the wait usually for the Statue of Liberty at Battery Park versus the wait at Liberty State Park? If its much shorter at Liberty SP, I might bite the bullet and drive for that trip. The first trip I mentioned above, I plan on going next month when its warmer, but not as crowded as other times of the year.
Thanks-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -