Reload this Page >

Driving Tips: from LA to Santa Barbara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Linda

I'm an arriving at LAX aroound 14:00 by an international flight(more than a 10-hour flight). I boooked a rentacar and plan to drive to Santa Barbara the same day. Is this plan reckless or not that difficult? I know there are two ways to get there: via the freeway or the coastal road). I guess it's easy with the former. My guidebood says it takes about 2 hours. What's the time difference between the two roads? Is it an easy drive or a winding and exhausing one? Please help me.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:25 AM
lisa

I seem to recall that it only took us around an hour and a half, and I think we took the coastal road. It was an easy drive. Make sure you go to La Super-Rica Taqueria in Santa Barbara for lunch (a great little taco stand).

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Gary

Linda:

As you can see on your map, the freeway route and coastal route (US 101) are the same road north of Camarillo.

The rental car agencies are not at the airport--one must take a shuttle to get to them. Thus, after deplaning, hiking to the baggage claim, then reaching the shuttle, it will be at least 3:00 pm. Thus, you likely will hit traffic while crossing the west side of L.A. and the Sepulveda Pass (I-405) north of L.A. After transistioning to the 101 North, however, the traffic will gradually lessen. At that time of day, I'd say over two hours from the rental car lot. If it's a weekend, ninety minutes or less.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Linda

Thank you lisa and Gary for your replies. Gary, I'll be arriving on Sunday. Does that mean whether taking the freeway or the coastal road doesn't make much difference?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Gary

The coastal road through Santa Monica, Malibu, and Zuma will take quite a bit longer--perhaps one hour added. But there is no comparison as far as the scenery is concerned. Very beautiful coastline.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:41 AM
Linda

I think I'll take the freeway to get there and use the coastal road the way back. Thank you again for your advice.