Reload this Page >

What would make a good present?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Mel

Whilst on holiday in the States at the end of the month (I'm going to San Francisco and Vegas), I'm going to visit someone I met at my friends wedding last year and I want to take him an 'English' present but I'm not quite sure what that is - I just assume that absolutely everything we have is available over there (apart from, maybe, Marmite and Clotted Cream...?!) and anything else would just be a 'souvenir' and therefore inappropriate.

Is there anything anyone has received or brought back themselves which they think would make a good present?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:00 AM
CMcDaniel

Mel, When we moved from TX we opted to lease our house there rather than sell it in a depressed market. The people we leased it to were a couple from England who had been transferred in by Arco for a year or so.. They ended up living in our house for 7 years and we got to be quite close. When they were transferred back to England last year they gave us a lovely (but unnecessary)thank you, a book called "Britain From the Air" by Jason Hawkes, knowing that we love England as well. It's a "coffee table book" which we've enjoyed over and over. Something similar, especially if you met those folks while they were in England, might be a wonderful gift for them.

Our long time best friends have retired and returned to England. Last time visited they brought a beautiful 100% linen tea towel with pictures of the various royal "homes". I love it and think of them each time I use it! I see the person you are searching for a gift for is a "him" however...if there's no "her" as well, that might not be such a good idea. gt;

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:00 AM
S

My favorite souvenir is a charm for my charm bracelet. Of course that's not suitable for a "him."

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:53 AM
John

Mel, although we don't know much about you (location, etc.) or your friend's characteristics (like age) or tastes, a couple of thoughts:
- A picture frame or similar home decorating item from Liberty's;
- Really good tea or foodie items from the likes of Harrod's food courts or Betty's & Taylor's;
- Like the other poster said, a nice book or a calendar of countryside scenes, or maybe an old print of some sort;
- A sweatshirt or scarf from your favorite football team, or if your friend's an American football fan something from the Scottish Claymores of the NFL Europe league (I guess the London Monarchs are kaput?)
- Anything with a royal warrant stamped on it - we're suckers for royalty schmaltz...

No doubt others will add items...

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Emily

I'll cast my vote for a Harrod's gift basket -- veddy English AND you get the Royal Warrant, as well!