Search

Driving tips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Jeanne

Driving tips

I am flying out of san francisco airport at 10 AM on a Wed. I am coming from Monterey. When do I need to leave? What is the best route to take? I will be leaving the rental car there (I did not pick it up there). Having never rented a car before, does this require extra time? Thanks for your advice.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 12:48 PM
tom

been a couple of years since I've done this specific drive. I'd allow minimum of 3 hrs, and probably 4 hrs would be better.

route I used is north out of monterey on Why 1 to Santa Cruz; Hwy 17 "over the hill" to San Jose area; then 101 Fwy (bayshore) north to San Francisco. There are variations on this route, people who live there (I don't) may have their secret shortcuts.

On a weekday morning you will have heavy traffic both on Hwy 17 & Fwy 101...people going to work in Silicon Valley.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 06:05 AM
Jeanne

Tom, I just wanted to thank-you for your advice. Being a total stranger to the west coast, I appreciate any help I can get from seasoned travelers.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 09:04 AM
Kelly

Allow at least 4 hrs. "over the hill" from Santa Cruz to 101 often delays and part of road is only two lanes. Returning rental car--I usually I allow at least 1/2 hour.
Good Luck....

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Jeanne

Dear Kelly, thanks for your input. I appreciate the help.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 04:54 PM
Cal

I would leave no later then 5:00 am. No matter which route you take, you will be in commute traffic for quite a distance.