Driving times

Old Nov 7th, 1999, 10:21 PM
Dan

Driving times

Hi, I'm planning a drive around the USA and was wondering if you lovely people out there could help me with approx driving times between the following places -
Vegas - Phoenix
Phoenix - San Diego
Atlanta - Memphis
Nashville - Lexington
Lexington - Washington DC
Boston - Montreal
Montreal - Toronto
Toronto - Cleveland

There's a few I know, you're help would be much appreciated. NB: there is only 1 driver

ps - anybody know when Wrestlemania tickets go onsale - I'm desperate to get some!!!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 03:54 AM
Betsy

Boston-Montreal is about 4 1/2-5 hours.
Sounds like a fun trip!!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 04:28 AM
Debbie

Dan -
Cleveland-Toronto - about 5-1/2-6 hr - depending on road construction.

Have a great time !!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 03:10 PM
joe

LV-PHX is 5:45-6 hours.
You can get reasonable approximations of drive times in the back of any good Rand McNally atlas...tho they won't account for metro delays

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 04:28 PM
jean

I use (www.mapquest.com) all the time. Have fun!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:15 PM
Donna

If you're really going to be driving to all of those places, you may want to consider some mapping software such as Microsoft Streets & Trips 2000. Once the best route is mapped, you can even check construction updates on the web.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:27 PM
Bob Brown

The Atlanta Memphis route is not a good one because once you get to Birmingham, you must take old US 78 and it is not all that great. I don't know your driving habits, but I would guess 6.5 to 7 hours to be conservative. (Assuming a stop to get gas, rest, and eat a little.) The distance is about 400 miles. Keep out of Birmingham and Atlanta between 4 and 7 PM. Some people drive north on I 75 to Chatanooga, then up to Nashville, and then west to Memphis. That gives you Interstate all the way, but the distance is 60 miles longer. You might be able to do it in 6.5 on that route is you drive hard.

If you take US 78, check a new map because more 4-lane road has been added since I last drove it. There was a new stretch in Alabama under construction as recently as 18 months ago. Perhaps someone else has more up to date information on improvements on that route.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 08:55 AM
Cal

Phoenix - San Diego: 6-7 hours.

Phoenix - Las Vegas: 4-5 hours.

I would not put a lot of faith in Map Quest or other mapping software. I have discovered many ver serious mistakes with Map Quest and others. A good Rand McNally map book or AAA book/maps are far better.