Search

Best Small Cities

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Jean

Best Small Cities

41, unattached, no children, currently living in Florida, considering lifestyke change, i.e.move to suburb or small city. Interested in affordable housing, low humidity, not too hot or too cold, and scenic. Not that concerned about nightllife, music, or schools. All suggestions appreciated.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:22 PM
SF Native

While I live in San Francisco and love it, I have several family members in Boise, ID and it sure sounds like what you're describing. Booming economy with lots and lots of affordable housing, gorgeous scenery, outdoor activities, pretty good weather, and a growing culture. Check it out and good luck.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 06:20 PM
Betsy

I'd recommend Burlington, VT. Although it gets cold in winter the other seasons make up for it! AS for affordable housing, what is your definition? Burlington is home to the University of Vermont so there are some pricy neighborhoods in Burlington (students want to live off campus so landlords can get a pretty good sum!)
There are plenty of job opportunities (IBM, University of VT, State of VT etc..) and tons to do--skiing, hiking,biking,sailing-you name it!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 07:09 PM
Cheryl Z.

How about something in the Puget Sound region? Not much snow, no tornadoes/hurricanes/heat waves, and it doesn't rain THAT much! And it's about as scenic as any place on earth.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 07:41 PM
cary

Strictly adhering to your criteria, there are very few places in the US that encompass everything you're seeking. The low humidity areas typically are quite hot in the summer, or in the cases of eastern Washington, Idaho, etc. may not fit your idea of 'not too cold' in winter if you're a current Floridian. I agree with the post about Boise. It's a not so well kept secret these days. The desert southwest has low humidity, some beautiful scenery, some affordable suburbs but a whole lotta summer heat. Burlington, VT? C'mon...it's a refrigerator in the winter. Puget Sound has lots going for it, but is humid and increasingly very expensive. Oregon has some reasonable options like Bend. Utah has some cities like Cedar City and St. George which are absolutely beautiful and pretty dry, but they get cold, too, in winter. Sacramento area fits most of your criteria. Albuquerque is a loose fit, but not warm in winter, and not pretty as a city. Santa Fe is great in summer, cold in winter and very expensive. Good luck...

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 08:36 PM
Eileen

Why not try the Pocono Mountains in Pa.
It is beautiful here in the summer,fall & spring. Not too humid. It is a little cold in the winter but the last couple of years it was fine. It's only a 2 hour drive into NY to a Broadway play. It is very convenient to all major highways into NY, New England. Housing is affordable and t=it is very scenic. The taxes are only 2.6%. If you would like more information, feel free to e mail me. Good Luck, Eileen

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 04:09 AM
Erin

Portland, Maine.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 08:47 AM
Cal

There are literally scores of small cities in California that would fit the bill. Affordable housing is readily available outside of the San Francisco, Bay Area, Los Angeles, and San Diego. You don't have to live in the desert either.

You have choices ranging from typical Southern California to Northern California and the Sierra foothills.
Temucula California is a great place to live with low humidity and good weather. Housing is pretty reasonable and it is a very nice area. It is located about 60 miles north of downtown San Diego. The list can go on and on so I won't list anymore. I suggest that you visit some web sites on California and reaeearch what is available. I will be happy to answer any qustions you may have about particular places.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Christie

The Texas Hill Country, which is west of Austin and San Antonio, is a wonderful place to live. It's close enough to the big cities that you're not totally isolated, but that "small town feel" is very important, too. As for scenic- it is definitely one of the most beautiful areas of Texas! The region is very well-known for its abundance of wildflowers in the spring and the fall color, too.

Summers are really not that bad- there is virtually no humidity, so the breeze keeps it bearable; and the winters are quite mild, too. it is well out of "tornado alley" so no need to worry about twisters.

Many of the cities have festivals throughout the year, such as the Kerrville Folklife Festival, Nights in Old Fredricksburg, and numerous Oktoberfests, that make the towns more exciting.

Some cities in the region: Fredricksburg, Comfort, Boerne, Gruene, Johnson City, Stonewall, Kerrville, and Junction.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 11:32 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Ashville, NC meets most, if not all, of your requirements.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 11:34 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Or maybe Asheville, NC would be better.