driving time Monterey to Elk CA

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:52 PM
dee

driving time Monterey to Elk CA

Can we drive from monterey to Elk and see some of the sights on Rte 1 and still get to Elk in a reasonable amount of time? how long a drive is it? Also, how long would it take to drive from Sausalito to SFO airport during the day?

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:05 PM
BillJ

Where is Elk? I know Elk Grove, over by Sacramento.

Sausalito - SFO ---- Given traffic, plan up to two hours. My guess. Maybe some locals have a better idea.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:05 AM
dee

Bill J:
Elk is up on the coast on the way to Mendocino.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
dramsy

Elk is quite a ways from Monterey, but if you get a chance to go up and stay overnight there, I would highly recommend it. It is very beautiful. A recommendation for lodging would be the Elk Cove Inn. Very beautiful. www.elkcoveinn.com

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
NativeCalifornian

The tiny village of Elk is about 35 minutes SOUTH of the small town of Mendocino.
It is quite a ways north of Monterey.
Can't tell you how long it will take as most of Highway 1 (also called Pacific Coast Highway) is only one lane each way and is 'curvy.'
Yes, there are a few 'turn-outs' but it all depends if the slow rigs like large motor homes will USE them to let people get by.
Also depends on the day and time of your trip.
Use one of the various online "driving directions" mapping websites, such as www.mapquest.com, and others. Some people complain they are not all that accurate but it's better than nothing.
You, too, have given no indication on what you mean "seeing some of the sights," so it's impossible to give you an accurate prediction.
Elk has no attractions other than the gorgeous views of the ocean so I hope Elk is your final destination with a night's lodging planned.
Several B&B's are there, you've had one recommendation already.
We stayed at Harbor House whose rather high end prices do include dinner and breakfast in a very pretty room.
We stayed in one of the separate OCEAN VIEW cottages, away from the very nice large house, with a very small deck and a couple of chairs.
Again, as for your question, how long the drive from Sausalito to SFO airport can best be answered by using one of the mapping websites, such as www.mapblast.com.

Old May 25th, 2002, 04:00 PM
dee

Thank you all for your suggestions. We have stayed at Elk before at the Harbor House Inn and have reservations to stay there again. It is really beautiful there and although pricy, it does include breakfast and dinner so it evens out. Also like the idea of not having to go find a restaurant when we finally arrive there for, as you say, there is not a lot there except for the fabulous view. We have not driven up the coast before but came down from Mendocino, so we would of course like to see as much as possible.
I think if we leave Monterey early in the morning we shoul be able to sightsee a little on the coast and still get to Elk at dinner time. Do you agree?

Old May 26th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Ms. Ghost

If you are driving up Hwy 1 all the way from the Golden Gate to Elk, I would count on 5 to 6 hours for that portion alone. Can't really advise you on driving times from Monterey to the Golden Gate. There are ways you can shorten the time a bit--say by taking Hwy 101 up to the Santa Rosa area and from there cutting over to the coast (Hwy 1) at Jenner.....just depends on how much ocean you want to see. It's quite spectacular from Jenner north--Salt Point and that area in particular and on north to Elk.