Driving through Utah

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving through Utah

Hello, I wasn't really sure which forum to post this in, but I have a question. I am from Los Angeles, but I am planning on spending the summer in Denver. However, due to time constraints I only have two days to get from L.A. to Denver. I know that distance-wise this isn't a problem, but the thing is, I really wanted to spend some time seeing things around Utah. I've never been before, but I've seen pictures of zion np and bryce canyon (I've been a long time national parks pass holder, so I've been dying to check these places out).

Anyway, my question is this. I only have two days to get from L.A. to Denver, so are there any good places that I can get out and see stuff right on the road? Or short hikes (less than an hour or so) that don't require extra driving off of the main highway.

Also, for those of you who might know this, is it possible/worthwhile to take a weekend trip from Denver back to Utah? Due to work, I won't be able to get out at all on weekdays, so I'd have to leave Saturday and come back Sunday. Is this worth considering? Thanks a lot
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Hi Archer,

I live in Park City, but am from Orange County. The drive between OC and SLC takes 11 hours, coming up I-15. That's with gas stops only, no sightseeing.

If you were going from LA to Denver, via Zion and Bryce, on to I-70. Still think it will take you close to 2 full days of driving.

Moab would be the closest UT destination to Denver, but it would be pushing it to go just for a weekend.

Can't you take a couple extra days to make the trip?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM

It's a six hour drive from Denver to Moab - sure you could do it, even leaving Friday evening and returning late Sunday. It's mostly I-70 which usually is 75 mph. Just try not to drive the segment from the Eisenhower Tunnel to Denver from 3:00-7:00 pm on a Sunday - lots of folks coming back from the mountains make for traffic jams during that time.

Otherwise, you could drive some very pretty back roads if you drive to Denver via southern Utah. It would add a number of hours to your trip, but if it's your only chance to see this area of the country, then I'd try to.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM

That's going to be a long trip in two days. Taking I-15 & I-70 will be 1020 miles and will take between 14 - 16 hours of just driving time. If you do this route, the area between Fremont Junction and Green River, UT on I-70 is know as the San Rafael Swell. Nice scenic overlooks.

If you want to add Zion, Bryce, Scenic Hwy 12 between Bryce and Torrey, Utah, you will also drive right though Captiol Reef on Hwy 24 before reaching I-70. This only adds 60 miles, but since it's not fast Interstate driving, it's going to add at least another 5 hours of driving. It will be the most scenic route with plenty of places to just stop and take in the views.

As mentioned, Moab, Utah (home of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks) will be the best place to go on a long weekend from Denver. Moab is about 5 hours from Denver. On one of those trips, make sure you drive Scenic Hwy 128 between Moab and Cisco.

Utahtea
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading up on some of the things to do in Utah and I think I've pretty much decided I need to plan a weekend trip to the Moab/Arches area. I figure I will make an attempt to see some of Bryce Canyon on the drive up, and then sometime over the summer, head out on a Friday evening and spend two days in the Moab area. Going to be a lot of driving , but looks like it is well worth it.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Archer,

If it's just a 5 hour drive from Denver, trust me, you'll be making more than one weekend trip to Moab! I do it all the time from my home which is a 4.5 hour drive.

Have fun!