Driving the Cape

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving the Cape

We will be driving up through MA in July. We don't necessarily want to stay on the Cape, but were thinking of staying in Plymouth and driving up to Provincetown, and back. Then we will be driving up to Boston to stay a day or two. Any advice? The problem is, we don't really know how long it takes, and how the traffic will be.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Weekend traffic will be much worse than midweek. A "flyover" is being built at the Sagamore Bridge eliminating the rotary that caused long backups on and off the Cape. It remains to be seen how much it will help. I cannot imagine making it to P-town from Plymouth in under two hours and it could be three depending on the traffic and road conditions.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Avoid weekend travel (Fri evening thru Sat) for Provincetown trip and weekday rush hour morning commuter traffic to Boston and you should be OK!

Trip from Plymouth to Provincetown will be 2+ hours via boring route 6 and 2 1/2+ hours along scenic route 6A.

Trip from Plymouth to Boston about one hour north along route 3.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I made reservations at the Inn on the Square in Falmouth for 2 nights. We will be going with my 80 y.o. father, who thankfully healthy. Are there museums and historical sites around that area? We do plan on driving to Provincetown and back. Do shops and restaurants open late in the evening? We also want to take a drive to Plymouth Plantation.
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
afc

Hi
To avoid the traffic you might want to consider taking the ferry from Plymouth to Provincetown. It will take just under 90 minutes.
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Here's a site which will give you some points of interest for the Falmouth area.

http://www.virtualcapecod.com/Falmouth.asp

Just a caution: if you've chosen to stay in Falmouth only as a midway point between Plymouth and Provincetown, you should know that Falmouth is slightly off the beaten track and can be more difficult to commute to and fro. I personally would choose something closer to Rt 6 or 6A if that's your reason because the drive can be a drag.

Regarding shop hours in Provincetown, you're lucky to be visiting in July, the highest of high season. Everything is open late, especially on the weekends.(at least 10 pm) One of my picks for dining, Front Street, right on the main drag, Commercial Street, is a great restaurant. Not inexpensive, but great food and great service.

Have a terrific time!

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:06 PM

I agree with bakegirl about staying in Falmouth. It's really out of the way if your goal is to drive from there to Ptown or to see the rest of the Cape, for that matter. Wherever you stay, do not drive the Cape on a weekend. Traffic will be miserable and Ptown will be mobbed. Also, be aware that when you drive along the Cape, you do not have any water views from the main roads so it is quite a boring drive unless you have the time to poke around in some of the towns.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Do not even think of driving length of Cape if it is a rainy day. When that happens, every parent with bored kids in summer rental gets in car and looks for something to do - the traffic is, in my opinion, worse than during weekend Cape commutes.

Plimouth Plantation is not a drive-thru destination - there is nothing to see without a fair amount of walking. Depending on endurance of your father and weather, you may need to reconsider. There is an incline down to "village" area, that after a day walking around in the heat (little shade) was not fun - I remember it 10 years later! But even just the walking in summer heat may be too much - maybe you will have a cooler, cloudy day.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM
ltt

i did a day trip from falmouth to provincetown. it was just fine. went on a weekday and left around 8:00 a.m. really liked chatham area.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM

We usually leave for the 2hr. cape drive around 8p or after fri. eve. and return same time sunday eve. and never hit traffic. To go from falmouth to Ptown during the week leave early in the am and return late - stay away from the commute around dinner or going to the beach times or as gail says, when it's raining.
Front St. btw is a favorite rest. but you will need a reservation weeks ahead. I've got to say bakergirl that we were a bit disappointed the last time with the food and service - just a fluke, I hope.
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I'm hoping to find a nice place on the water (I like peace and relaxation and staring at the sea) and my husband likes to be near things (restaurants etc) BUT only for 2-3 night max. Everywhere on the cape seems to be 5 days - 1 week rentals and this is our last chance to have time together before our first baby in September. Does anyone have a recommendation on a place or city to look? Ideally something nice - not a motel.... We'll be driving there in high season - Aug 5-7. Any help would be SO appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM

You kind of piggybacked onto Angelize's post so you may not get as many responses as you would have if you started your own post with an appropriate title.

I would either start your own post with a title like "Cape Cod Inn on the water in August" or you can search fodors itself for previous questions similar to yours. I would start with very general searches at first like "Cape Cod Inns" until you get used to it.

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM

tduke, I think the harborview hotel in Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard would suit you to a T.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Take head of the note about traffic to Ptown if the weather is bad ...it's a nightmare. Also, Front Street is lovely ( the smoked tea duck is great), but it is expensive and you must have reservations. Other options for good dining include Chester, The Martin House, The Mews and Cafe Edwige. For a more casual meal, consider The Commons (under new ownership this season???)or Ciro and Sal's. For even more casual, The Lobster Pot or Bubbbala's .....reservations are a must in season at all locations....You may want to consider a whale watch while in Ptown - again make reservations. Parking in town in season can be a challenge. With an 80 year old try for the main lot at Macmillan pier (do you have a handicap pass), it will put you in the center of town.... if that is full there is a private lot on Commercial Street across from The Commons, even if it is full, tell the attendant you have an elderly person - I'll bet she'll find you a spot. Enjoy!!!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

tduke: if you are still out there you might look at the Red Rose Inn in West Yarmouth. It is on the water and has a restaurant. If you go to www.capecodonline.com it is featured in an article today.