Driving from Boston to Cape Cod

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! We'll be in Boston this weekend and would like to go to Cape Cod. Is it alright to go first thing Sunday Morning? Where should we go and most importantly, how can we get there?
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:57 AM

Take Route 93 south to Route 3 (a left-side exit in Quincy). Before and after that part, it depends on your exact current location and your exact destination on the Cape. You might try plugging the addresses (or at least the general ZIP codes) into a mapping site like mapquest.com.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:38 AM

Uhm...You might need to leave really early in the morning as the traffic could be FIERCE. Maybe people who do that trip this late in August will know better, but when we used to do it on summer weekends it was really bad.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM

I'm from Cape Cod, Dennis to be exact and I think leaving by 8 sun am will be fine. Where to go? How much time. I think Chatham is a great place. Take exit 11 off highway 6 and take a left off the exit. Take this road about 5 miles to rte 28. Take a left on rte 28 and go 2-3 miles to get into chatham center. it is so pretty. ask me for more specifics if needed. or if it's a beach you are looking for, try the National Seashore down in Eastham. Maybe leave at 6:30 am and get there by 8:30 or 9:00. Stop for breakfast along the way. Have fun.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:09 AM
cw

Traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Sunday morning, but leave as early as you can. I believe the Marshfield Fair is going on, so you may experience some traffic around the Marshfield exit of rt. 3.

Alternately, you could take the high speed ferry from Boston to Provincetown and spend the day there, walking, looking at shops etc. You could take a taxi to one of the great beaches or rent bicycles.

cw
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:34 AM

Molly said "breakfast along the way" in her post. Make sure that's after you cross the bridge into Cape Cod. Not before.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM

We live just south of Boston and have a house in Brewster so I think I can say with some confidence that you won't have trouble leaving Boston by 8 a.m. this Sunday. We usually go on Saturday mornings and are usually only a bit delayed at the bridge if we leave by 8 a.m. and Saturday traffic is MUCH worse. Your bigger problem will be the return on Sunday evening. I recommend having dinner ON the Cape and then trekking over the bridge. You'll have some slow downs on Rt. 3 north at the time but nothing horrible.